Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 11

Jack took me to my favorite bistro all the way on the edge of town. The drive there had been quiet, but it hadn't felt awkward at any point. "We used to go here all the time," I said, mostly to myself, as we pulled into the parking lot.

Jack nodded his head in agreement, following me as I walked toward the entrance of the little restaurant. "Are you going to get soup and a sandwich?" he asked me, his lips forming a dimpled smile.

"You know that's what I always get."

"One time you got a salad," he mentioned.

"And what a mistake that was."

Jack laughed as we stood in line for our food. "Sometimes I think you eat more than me."

Never before had I felt embarrassed of my incredibly large appetite, but now as Jack watched me with amused eyes I felt my cheeks go warm. "Well," I said with a shrug, "It must be all those workouts I put in at the gym that keeps me in shape."

Sarcasm was my only defense.

Jack, knowing that the gym was the absolute LAST place he'd ever find me, shook with laughter. "If I remember correctly, the first time I took you to the gym you fell asleep on the massage chair before we even started our workout."

"Sleep is just as important as exercise when it comes to being healthy," I argued.

"Yeah, but you had already napped that day—"

"What can I get for you?" the woman behind the counter asked, cutting Jack off mid-sentence.

He ordered himself a salad and soup, and then added on my usual order. I gave him a funny look as he handed her a twenty dollar bill. "You don't have to pay for me," I said, reaching into my purse to find some cash of my own.

Jack reached out and stopped me before I could. "It's my treat. I wanted you to come out anyway."

It felt weird having Jack pay for my meal, almost as if we were back in a relationship. For the first year and a half he payed for me every time we went out. Eventually I convinced him that I was also capable of paying for our dinner dates and movies, but most of the time he still insisted. But, as much as I'd like to say I enjoyed paying for my own meals, I did miss being treated by my boyfriend.

Ex-boyfriend.

"Hey, how are you feeling after this weekend? You took a pretty hard fall into the pool?" Jack asked as he led me to an empty table.

I sat down in the booth, self-consciously fixing my hair. I'd never really been nervous around Jack, but after almost four months of no interaction, I felt like I needed to impress him. I'd put a lot of thought and time into my hair and outfit today, something I normally didn't do.

"I'm okay. Sawyer said I probably have a concussion, but—" I stopped myself when I noticed a confused expression had spread across his face.

"Sawyer?" he questioned.

"He drove me home from the party."

"Where was Ty?"

I shrugged. "He was busy, and I didn't want to interrupt him."

"So you're hanging out with Sawyer now?" His voice sounded uneasy.

"Not really. He offered me a ride and I accepted. That's all."

"But—"

"Is that why you invited me here, Jack? To talk about Sawyer Armstrong?"

Jack sighed in defeat, shaking his head. "Of course not. I just worry about you."