The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Thirteen

•Aiden•

"So much for getting her to like you." Jason looked behind him where Alison had disappeared through the door," I didn't mean to make her upset. The way she dropped her arms from my neck and went straight for the door, I knew she was probably about to cry.

There wasn't a reason for her to cry though. Even if I had hurt her feelings, it wasn't intentional and she should have known that. Especially since I was just holding her the way I was.

"Only because you pricks."

Everything was going good.

It felt good. 

She felt good.

"Whatever, maybe you should try and not be an asshole at all times!" Eli shouted as he threw himself into the pool, splashing me as he did so. I held back the urge to hold his head under the water.

Maybe they were right. Maybe I was too rude to her. But she didn't seem like I had been this past month. It felt like she was actually opening up to me. She wasn't so  But we both were extremely far from it.

"And did you see the way she looked? Even in that sweater." Dylan's eyes shifted as he spoke about her body.

I think she interpreted my jealousy as embarrassment when I told her to cover up. I was anything but embarrassed of her body. She was perfect in every way. And when I saw her in that bathing suit, I wanted to take her right there. But she wasn't like that. And I didn't want to be like that with her.

It annoyed me how self conscious she was about herself. I didn't know why she felt so ashamed with herself, but she shouldn't have those thoughts. I wasn't going to say she was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen, because she wasn't.

I've messed with a lot of beautiful girls so she wasn't any different than them, but she didn't give herself enough credit. She saw herself as ugly as if it had been imprinted in her skin. But, it wasn't my job to tell her a million times how beautiful she was.

She was the only person who could change her own mind.

But even though she wouldn't listen, a stupid part of me wanted to tell her a million times and more just how beautiful she really was.

I wouldn't tell her.

Like I told the boys before, she was just another girl.

She was temporary.

So I didn't know why I wanted her to be forever.

•Alison•

I wiped the stray tear as it slid down my chin. It was stupid for me to be crying, I know. But I couldn't help it. I felt so humiliated and I didn't know how I could face them again.

Someone knocked on the bathroom door, "Alison? I got to pee dude!"

It was Eli.

"Pull yourself together." I whispered to myself before pulling open the door. Eli sent me one of his goofy smiles before rushing past me into the bathroom, shutting the door in my face- only to open it a second later. His smile was replaced with a little worry.

It was odd.

"Are you okay?" I nodded and forced a smile.

He didn't believe me. If I were him I wouldn't either.

"Don't be upset. Aiden is just an ass." He joked lightly while tapping his foot to the ground. I laughed slightly as his nervous movements.

"Go pee Eli; I'm okay."