Enlightened

Hello, this is chapter 25 of Running, hope you like. Please comment and tell me what you think

Since it was Saturday, I didn’t wake up early like I did for school. Nick had sent me multiple texts about going to breakfast and I ignored every single one of them. If I was going to face a cult then I would decide whether I wanted to spend time with him before or not.

When twelve o’clock rolled around another text from Nick came saying that he was coming to pick me up in a half an hour. I groan and sat up. I slipped on a pair of jeans and a yellow graphic tee with my yellow Converses. I combed my hair and put it into a low ponytail. I then went into the bathroom, turned on the faucet, and then brushed my teeth. After I finish brushing, let the water pour into my hand. I watched as it plopped in my hand before I splashed it on my face. I dried it off with a towel then walked out of the room.

Everything seemed mechanical from the way I got up to the way I washed my face. I couldn’t stop thinking about today. Would Nick take me to get sacrifice? This whole situation seems ridiculous. I needed to talk to someone. 

I walked to Aunt Mae’s room. I knocked on the door but I got no answer. I knew she was in there because I could hear music so I just went in. 

“Oh God, Aunt Mae!” I slammed the door shut. I didn’t want to see that. I didn’t need to see that. How could that even happen?

They were in bed together. I shook my hands like I was trying to get something off f them, then I started pacing outside her door. How? I don’t understand. I thought she hated him or at was very suspicious of him. Or was it just a lie? I thought she was trying to be cautious or was that just me? She can have the doctor but I can’t have Nick, cult or not.

I stood up against the wall outside her door. I didn’t know what to do. DO I wait for her to explain? Do I leave? Do I act like I didn’t see it?

“Wren!” Aunt Mae called out to me. I could hear her shuffling and trying to put some clothes on. Suddenly the door sprung open and Aunt  turned to look at me. “Look it’s not what you think. John and I were just a little stressed out and last night we got to talking. We—”

“So you sleep with guys you don’t like when you’re stressed?” I said sarcastically. I didn’t mean for it to come out like that, it just did. 

“No, of course not!” she said crossing her arms. “I am a grown woman. I don’t have to explain myself to you either Wren.”

“You just did,” I turned on my heels and walked away. I didn’t need her petty apologizes or lies. She was sleeping with the good doctor behind my back. I wasn’t stupid and that definitely was their first time together either. Did she know that Dr. Richards was part of a cult and is planning on sacrificing me to God knows who? Bet she didn’t.

*

*

I hadn’t said a word to Aunt Mae or Dr. Richards went they both came knocking on my door. As soon as Nick called, I grabbed my coat then ran outside and sat on the step. Once his care pulled into the driveway, I ran to the car and got in.

“Whoa, what’s the rush?” he chuckled and put the car in reverse.

“Nothing, let’s just go,” I said as we started driving off.

He leaned over to kiss me and I pulled away. Right now he repulsed me as much as seeing my aunt having sex. “Wren, are you okay?” he looked confused.

“I’m fine, I just want to go and do what I have to do,” I crossed my arms and sat back in the seat. I had already made my decision not to look at him the whole trip there. Too bad I couldn’t stick to it.