Chapter 24

Chapter 24

       When Mae walked up to me while everyone was getting ready for the poetry slam, she had a huge smile on her face. "Do my eyes deceive me, or are you not using your crutches anymore?" she asked.

       I looked down before looking back at her and smiling. "I went to the doctor's yesterday," I said. "She said I no longer have to use them as long as I don't put too much pressure on my ankle. And if I continue taking things easy, I might be able to dance again by Saturday."

       "Really?" Mae asked, the smile still on her face.

       "Yeah," I said. "I have another appointment next Friday where my doctor will be able to confirm if I can dance or not. And, if I can, I'm still going to take it easy. No jumps or anything like that."

       "That would be amazing if you can dance again," she said. "Not only is it your life, but I miss dancing with you. And, since you're not on crutches, does that mean you can come to the Halloween dance next week? What time is your appointment?"

       "Three," I said. "So, yes, I'll be able to go. And, let me guess, you want to do a couples costume so we can enter the contest?"

       "Yes," she said. "Well, that and all the girls will see that you're still taken so...."

       I chuckled and rolled my eyes. "At least you're not getting mad at me. So, any ideas for costumes?"

       Mae shrugged. "I was just thinking maybe something from Disney because I love Disney."

       "Well, who's your favorite Disney princess?" I asked.

       "Belle," she said. "But we can't do Beauty and the Best. Do you have a favorite princess? And don't say no just because you're a guy. Guys can have a favorite princess."

       I smiled. "I do, actually. Jasmine."

       "Ooh, we can go as Aladdin and Jasmine!" Mae said excitingly. "If only we had someone for Abu."

       I couldn't help but chuckle softly. "You know, on my first Halloween when I was five months old, my parents went as Aladdin and Jasmine and I went as Abu."

       "Aww!" Mae gushed. "I can just imagine you as a baby in a monkey costume! Is that why Jasmine's your favorite?"

       "Actually, yes," I said. "My parents weren't married at the time, but they won the family costume contest at an event they went to and, I don't know....I just like how they thought of themselves as family even though they weren't married. If only it didn't take my dad so long to propose."

       "How long did it take?" Mae asked.

       "They were dating for five years," I said. "I was three at the time and I technically proposed for my dad. I got on my knees with my dad and said 'Will you marry daddy?'"

       Mae smiled. "You're family is so cute! You better not take that long to propose to me, though."

      "Don't worry, I won't," I said. "I should be going where all the speakers for the poetry slam are. I'll see you after, though."

       Mae gave me a hug. "Good luck, Ryder." She kissed my cheek before I walked to where the other participants were sitting.

       I looked out in the audience, catching sight of my family. Immediately, all my siblings began waving like crazy and the triplets also began jumping up in down. I saw Mom say something to them, probably telling them to calm down, but it didn't work. They were never calm.