Chapter 22

I stare at the train feeling dumbstruck. I see a bunch of guards on the train holding onto Peeta. The train is moving so fast now I only see them for a second, but I make out Peeta waving his hand at me. A gesture to go on without him.

I stand there for what feels like an eternity. Did Peeta know that tackling that guard for me would mean he wouldn't get out?

I don't know why he did that. He had a clear shot out the door but stayed back to help me instead. Now I'm the one standing free and he's headed for the Capitol.

That's something the old Peeta would do, but I didn't expect anything like this from him after he was hijacked.

"Hey! You girl!" says an older woman's voice from a distance.

A couple hundred feet away I see a woman sitting outside her house on a rocking chair. She must have watched the whole thing happen.

After a few seconds of hesitation I walk over to her. She has dark brown hair and looks to be about forty. She looks a little familiar but I don't know from where.

"I knew you must be her," she said quietly. "I saw your friend get stuck on the train. Considering how fast it was going seems like it was headed for the Capitol."

I nodded my head slightly, unsure if I should trust this woman or not. I don't know why she's talking to me or what she wants. And I don't know why but just looking at her makes me think she's associated with some painful memory.

"Katniss, I know what just happened here and you need to go. I watched you in the Games, you'll probably want to go after him and chase the train. But you need to let go."

Taken back by her sudden knowledge about what just happened I say nothing.

"If you go to the Captiol you will not rescue him, you'll just get yourself taken. I know they aren't creul like they used to but I'm sure it would bring up bad memories for you."

I don't want to talk to this lady anymore. I don't like how she is describing my feelings so in depth.

"Take it from me, go home Katniss," she said seriously. "The road is that way." She pointed to an unpaved road.

After a few seconds I nodded at her and left towards the road, mainly just to get away from her.

After a while her house becomes a small dot. I realize she may be right. I can't go back to the Capitol.

After wandering around for a bit I remember where I've seen her before.

Her son was in the Games.

My first games, had to be District 9 since that's where we are. I saw her standing on the platform during the Victory Tour. I didn't kill him but I'm sure she wishes her son came out of it instead of me.

Knowing this I think about her words again. Then I turn and start heading back to District 12.