Chapter One-Alexis Colson

The intense light from my laptop screen broke through the darkness in my room, I squinted trying to make out what had made my laptop decide to light up and wake me from my sleep but it was too far away and I was too tired to care all that much. I slowly sat up and glanced at the clock.

3:39 am Seriously?

I groaned as I shoved the covers up and over my head, it was way too early for me so I attempted to get back to sleep but of course the curiosity of what it could be got the best of me. I pushed the thick covers off me and slowly ambled over to my desk, my vision was slightly blurred but I blinked a few times and it soon cleared up. I noticed my email was still open so I searched the screen and there highlighted was an unread email from an unknown address, I huffed and clicked it open anyway, what could possibly be so important at three in the morning anyway. My jaw basically dropped when I read the first line.

Your brother's death was no accident and we both know it.

I felt my mouth dry and my stomach drop. My twin brother Tyler had died over a year and a half ago, the police said it was an accident but I never believed them and I soon became an annoyance to the local law enforcers, mainly because I wouldn't give up. Just after Tyler died my parents got divorced and I soon became an emancipated teenager, moving around way more than I should and that is the reason why a month away from my nineteenth birthday I was repeating my last year of high school. I hadn't seen my parents since the divorce and I liked it that way. They abandoned me so I wanted nothing to do with them.
After Tyler's accident they couldn't really look at me without seeing my dead twin. They never said it to my face but I knew the way they really felt. So that's me Alexis Colson an emancipated 18 year old with a dead twin brother and a screwed up parents situation. If I was in therapy, they would be making a lot of money off of me.

I felt sick searching through the strange email, I re read the first line so many times the words began to lose all meaning and I found my eyes welling up, they probably looked glassy but I pushed my tears back, I refused to cry I had cried so much after Tyler's death and I was done with all that emotional crap, I hadn't cried since his funeral and I wasn't going to start now. I searched the screen and found there was a link below, I hesitantly clicked on it when I realised it was encrypted.

Please. This is child's play.

I thought as I made my way through the pathetically encrypted file with ease, I was always good with computers, that was one of the reason I was expelled from my previous school. I had hacked into the schools server and changed my cooking grade from a D to a B. Refusing to participate in that class was a sure way to get a failure on my report, all my other grades were A's and because I hated to cook I was going to get a bad grade, I don't think so. I shook my head pushing back my memories and continuing to sift through the file that I had already gotten in to. There was what could only be a police report, a coroner's report and a few witness statements along with a few images which I couldn't bring myself to open. I decided to print everything, I was good with computers so I clearly understood what is there today may not be there tomorrow, I shoved them into a spare folder and tossed it onto my bed. No way could I sleep now so I decided to grab my own little folder full of information about Tyler's death. I had collected as much as I possibly could, getting information out of the local police was far from easy, so every little piece of information I got I held onto, tightly.

After what was most definitely hours of research and torment, I had figured out a few new bits of information. First was that the police had doubts about Tyler's death, but the FBI had somehow covered it up. Typical.
Second was that Tyler was wasted, I mean blind drunk, which I didn't find hard to believe most of the time I was his cover for our parents, he would always get drunk with his friends and I always ended up cleaning up his messes.