✶Don't✶

"You're leaving? For how long?" I asked, my heart beating rapidly in my chest.

"Laney," he sighed, putting his hand through his hair, " I wish this were easier, I really do but-"

"But why didn't you tell me?" I shrieked. How could he have not even bothered to mention that he was leaving so soon? It had only been about a month.

" I didn't want you to worry about it," he said, the softness in his green eyes melting my heart. "What's the point in worrying about when things are going to end? Living like that never really lets you enjoy anything you do. You just obsess over when the time is going to be over with."

As much as I wanted to ignore what he said in anger, there was a truth to the words he spoke. It was true that I would've worried about his departure, but finding out the news like this only made the pain hurt much worse. There would be so many things left undone, unsaid, and if I faced the basic facts, I don't know how I was going to go on without him.

Throughout the last month, I had grew a strong bond with him. He was my colleague, he was the one that I considered to be a friend- and that's saying alot coming from a girl like me.

"But-but, how could you?" I asked, one single tear trickling down my face. I hated becoming so vulnerable in front of but I felt hurt, betrayed.

"I'm so sorry," he said soothingly. "I never meant to- Laney, don't cry. I never meant to upset you."

"It's just," I tried to explain. " I can't do this without you. I can't go on with my life knowing that you're not here."

He grabbed my hand and placed his free hand on my shoulder, " Look at me Laney. Throughout this past month  I've gotten to know you- the real you. The one who looks pale as a ghost when I wake her up at three AM, the girl who prefers chocolate over vanilla, the girl who is afraid of falling flat on her face when roller skating. I've gotten to know you, the real you- the most beautiful human being that my two eyes have ever laid on," he said while slowly wiping away my tear with his thumb."

"So no need to cry pretty girl. I know you've got this all handled. You don't need me here to know that you are an all round amazing person. You just need to believe. There's nothing to it."

But there was a whole lot more to it because without him here, I was as good as being invisible.

© Lightning_Stryker 2016