Chapter Eleven: Between Then & Now

after an almost year long absence (my apologies), here is a new chapter. new cover too (credit on my profile) is it just me, or this is getting darker? 

___________________________________________

.:Chapter Eleven: Between Then & Now:.

My one and only wish right now, a wish that I would give anything to come true, would be to go back in time to a specific point in time and redo everything.

That point in time being the day when I decided to explore the woods as a child. Had I known that it would cause this mess, I would've stayed inside that night. But, I didn't, and now because of that mistake, everything is going downhill.

"So, how have you been?"

This is beyond ridiculous.

"Fine. You?"

Can't even meet their eyes.

"Good."

I want to laugh. Laugh at the complete and utter unfairness of this. It's just not fair, not for me and definitely not for them. They were dragged into this mess the day I decided to throw logic to the wind and follow Liam to that cabin. Or maybe, just maybe, they were dragged into this the moment we became friends.

"We want to apologize for pressing into matters that weren't ours. Especially after you tried to put us off. We should've just let the matter rest."

Please don't do this. You don't need to apologize for anything. I was the one at fault for snapping at you, and running away like a child.

And yet, all that comes out is, "It's fine, don't worry about it, I'm to blame as well."

Louis coughs off to my left, and I look up but find him looking off to the side. Harry too, isn't looking at me.

Ah, so it's begun.

So Liam was right.

Maybe it's for the best.

Running a hand across my face, I wonder why I feel older than I did just yesterday. I fight back the laugh threatening to come out. Where was this maturity when I needed it weeks ago?

The three of us sit there in my room, the atmosphere tense and awkward as fuck. Just like the past fifteen minutes before Harry spoke up. It might have lessened a bit, but it's still there. An empty silence, one that I know I should break by explain the marks, but I just can't. I'm not ready to let them go just yet. Not yet, just a little longer before I have to watch them leave.

"It's not something you can avoid, you know. It's bound to happen sometime."

Minutes go by, and I can tell the silence is starting to get to them; Louis is fidgeting more than usual on his spot by the door. Harry, leaning on the wall by his step-brother, is glancing at the door as if wishing he could leave soon.

Not yet.

"I-we-I was wondering if you two would like to go with me." The words are out before I realize what I'm saying, but it gets their attention.

"Where to?" Harry answers, speaking after a look with Louis.

I rack my brain for a place where we could go to, but I come up empty. A thought pops up, and I voice it immediately. Anything to keep them with me.

"My old house? Been years since I've visited the place, and besides, Greg is out for the month. Something about a friend getting married." Technically he's out for a few months, visiting mum in the states. It's too late to take that back now though. I really need a brain to mouth filter.

"Oh, umm..."

"Sure, why not." This time, it's Louis who speaks for the first time since I got home. However, without another word, he moves off the doorframe and walks out.

I look over at Harry to see his reaction, but he only sighs and nods at me. "We'll be waiting outside."

"You can't know that."

Biting my tongue, I stop myself from calling out to Harry as he leaves. I'll do it once we're at my old house. Without Louis getting in the way.

"Trust me. I talk from experience."

. . .

Thirty minutes.

That's how long it takes for us to reach the house, and that's by car. Originally I had planned for us to walk there, giving us more time to dispel the tension, but one look at Louis' face as he stood by his car and I knew it wasn't happening.

God, Louis.

Why can't he talk to me about what's bothering him? I know it has to do with me, it's obvious, but I want to know how he feels about this. What he thinks, and what happened between this morning and now to have both him and Harry like this.

I take a peek at him as I get out of the backseat, and meet his eyes for one second before he nudges Harry to get out as well. Please don't take him as well.

My attention is drawn to the house before me, a smile on my lips as memories leap to mind. Yeah, I missed this place.

Taking the key out of my pocket, I unlock the door and step aside to let the brothers in.

"I'll be in the guest room downstairs, need some sleep." Murmurs Louis before taking off once again, this time leaving me alone with Harry.

The joy of being home after so long fades, as the tension settles between us. This one isn't as dense or suffocating, it's easier to breathe and think without guilt weighing my thoughts down.

It's clear that neither of us will be talking anytime soon, so I move toward the stairs upstairs, and motion for Harry to follow me when he looks over. I don't wait to see if he's following or not, but his footsteps reassure me anyways.

Making my way to my childhood room, I gather my resolve for the coming conversation. This, I wish will turn out as I hope, otherwise, I don't know what I'll do.

"They'll start drifting away, and there's nothing you can do."

"I'll still try."

"You can try, but it won't change a thing, once they make the decision, they won't go back."

"You don't know them."

"No, I don't. But after what you pulled when they were just concerned about you and everything up until now, do you really think this friendship between the three of you will be the same?"

"I'll still try."