Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Rachel walks in with coffee and a bagel on her plate, "you smell like smoke" she throws a pillow on me to wake me up, "you told me you would quit"

"I'm too busy" I roll over and grab Rachel's legs. She giggles and combs my hair, "how much coffee did you make?"

"Enough for me and you" she lifts my chin and leaves a kiss on my lips before taking a sip.

I watch her put the mug down and look at me. I grab her legs and pull her onto the bed with me. She giggles as I tickle her sides and leave a kiss on her cheek.

She kisses my nose when we settle down and giggles. "You never let me stay over"

I get irritated and push her away, "oh come on Harry. It was just a simple statement"

"Yeah, but you've said it enough." I sit up in the bed and place basketball shorts on. "I get it, you want to be over with me every night but I'm not into that. You know that."

"I thought by this time you would change." She sits up with my shirt on. Rachel sips her coffee, looking at me with sympathy. "We've seen each other for over 4 months and I haven't even met your roommate yet."

"Don't ruin my day. Alright?" I ask with impatience in my voice. Rachel has been talking about me and her for months. She's been leaving hints left and right about wanting to leave a toothbrush here or a bag of her things. I don't want that. I don't call her to have her stay the whole weekend. I call her because I'm lonely and need a fix for the night.

I've been over this with her. I'm not committal. I don't keep women around for a reason. I'm busy, I stay busy and I will be busy when I'm older.

I would like to one day settle down, of course. But not with Rachel. Not while I'm in school.

Things are different with Her. I would leave her tooth brush at my place. But she doesn't look like the one to nag like Rachel. Maybe that's what keeps me attracted to Her.

She doesn't seem like a one to have that committal lifestyle.

"I'm sorry. I just, I just would like to know" she comments one last time before I head out of my bedroom.

"I'm busy"

"You're always busy Harry. Too busy to go out on a date, too busy to quit smoking, too busy to keep me over for a weekend" she lists on and on while I zone her out.

I make myself peanut butter toast and pour coffee into a cup. Rachel sits at the bar and sips on her coffee, giving me the typical "please let me stay glare"

"I have to study and I have errands to run today."

"I can help!" She gets all excited and smiles at me

"I'd rather do them alone" I brush off her excitement and head to the living room to watch some tv before starting my day.

I hear her huff and puff before sitting down next to me with her arms crossed. I don't necessarily feel bad. Like I said, this was presented to her when she came home with me the first night. This wasn't going to be a typical boy meets girl situation where I take her on dates and hold her hand in public. No, this is when I'm lonely, I call her. Completely different.

"I just feel li-"

"Rachel, please." I stop her from confessing more feelings, "we've been over this. You're my fix and I'm yours. This wasn't anything romantic."