The heartbreak...

II

          The next day Sydrian insists to take Lian and Mion to the feeders which left Chris and me to the canteen.

“Ro, I’m really sorry for what happened yesterday” he apologized.

“It’s okay, I never experience that kind of thing before” I said “It’s good to know that I have the tendency to pass out when I’m cut with metals” I joke. Seeing Chris he look horrified and bewildered.

“What?! It is not good! What if you get cut and we weren’t there to help?” he asked concern in his eyes.

“Everything is fine, Chris, so don’t make a fuss.” I caught sight of Ralph, my classmate came toward us.

“Ro?” he said brushing back his hair, “Do you have date for St. Vladimir’s ball?”

“Uhmm” I said. Chris opened his mouth and spoke, “Yes, she has... Me” I stared with him wide-eyed what?

“Oh, okay maybe next time?” he said.

“Why the hell did you say that?” I hissed.

“Well” he said and wink at me. Later that day, I receive about 10 invitations but refused. Thanks to Chris who was there to scare them away. But deep in my heart I wanted Sydrian to ask me out. I went into the room and settled myself at the back. I saw my father and 3 other guardians seated at the corner. He caught a glimpse of me and stood up walking toward me. He hugged me tightly, so tight that he lifted me up from the floor. He kissed my forehead and asked, “How’s my baby? Daddy missed you.” I heard Sydrian choke a laugh.

“Dad, I’m not your baby anymore!” I protested and pushed him in front seeing as my classmate were awestruck and Mr. Tibit came through. I sat down and said, “What are you laughing at huh?” messing his hair.

“Knock it off, Ro” he said smiling. I heard my father coughed a little as though attracting our attention and we straighten up. As soon as my father finished his sharing my classmates were left opened mouth. I can hear gasped and wow from them. Somehow I felt proud for him after all he hasn’t earned his “legendary guardian” title for nothing.

III

          Sydrian walked with me in our next class. “Hey Ro, how can I asked a girl to the ball?” I felt my heart skipped. Is he asking me out? But all my dreams were shattered when he said, “I want to ask Lian out what to do you think?” what?

“Uhmm, just be yourself and ask her out. She won’t mind” I said although my heart is aching.

“Hey, Ro, Can I invite you to the dance?” Joseph, one of our classmates, asked.

“Go find another plaything Joe. Ro, don’t date scumbbags” Sydrian said. I don’t know why Sydrian hated him so much. Maybe he was just protective to me.

“Don’t mess up with me, royal brat” said Joseph fist on the ready. I put myself between them.

“Sid! Stop it. Joe maybe some other time” I said to both of them.

“Lucky for you to have Rossetti to aid you brat” he went off.

“Sid calm down. You’re too harsh on him.” I gripped his hand trying to stop him from running off to Joseph.

“I’m sorry Ro but I really don’t trust that guy.”

“You don’t trust every guy who makes a move to me, well, except for Chris”

“Chris is a different case and you know that.”

As we reached the field where our Combat class will be held, I see different kinds of equipment. Metals! Eddie huddled to us and whispered. “Maybe its safe if you partner with Sid, Ro” we nodded. He called for the class to take one partner, many boys came for me and asked me to be their partner but I smiled and told them that Sydrian is already my partner.

“Don’t hold back because I’m a girl, Sid” he smiled and nodded. It was the first time that we used metal equipment in class; we used to have silvers that are much safer for me. I excel better in hand in hand combat and direct offensive move. It’s in the genes they say. As we practice, adrenaline rushed through me. I was given a sword to work with. As the fight progress, I can feel Sydrian was holding back and I swing my sword to him as if telling him to fight back and he willingly obliged. We were evenly matched some of our classmates watched us since we’re the only one standing and fighting. As the intensity subsided, I defeated him and help him up.

“Wow, Ro! You’re amazing!” he exclaimed. I smiled. Suddenly I can feel a familiar thud in my heart, pain began to settle in. No!

“Ro? Your look pale” he said checking me for cuts. “You’re hurt!” he lends his hand to me. Eddie appeared horrified, and all of my classmates were staring at me. I shrugged and run back not wanting to pass out in front of the class. Sydrian trailed behind me. When we were out of my classmate’s sight sweat trickle down my face and collapsed in Sydrian’s arm.