Chapter 16

Brianna's POV

Our families were all gathered around the table again, under the dim lights of the lanterns above our heads. Everybody was chattering lightly with one another as they all ate their Chinese food. As always we saved our fortune cookies till the night came to an end, it was the beginning of January already, now was the right time to have a peak at the new year.

"Alright everyone!" Sean announced,
"On the count of three!" I held the cookie in my palms gingerly, this is the last year of high school, after that there isn't any time left to fool around,  for mistakes, and definitely no time to push myself into Grayson's life anymore. Who knows if we would we ever see each other again, most likely not, he was never really fond of me.

        "1, 2, 3!"

Here's to the last year of leaving a good impression of myself to Grayson, I think to myself as I cracked open the cookie to get the slip hidden inside the hollow walls.

"Open up your heart - it can always be closed again."

I frowned at the words, open my heart? Haven't I been open enough? Every time I do, Grayson just snaps it close each time, it doesn't matter to him what's actually given to him.
"Well?" Lisa asked giddy,
"How was everyone's fortune?" Just by reading the expression on her face could already tell me she was more than happy about hers.

Everyone else replied with a chain of less enthusiastic mumbles,
"This is complete bullshit." Grayson says dogmatically. He crumples up the piece of paper and let it roll on the table.
"What did it say?" Sean asked worriedly.  Grayson clenched his jaw,
"Nothing. It didn't make sense."
"Don't worry Sean." My dad smiled at him.
"I'm sure something as little as this is meaningless to your son's progress on Hadden."
"I never said I'm going to Hadden." Grayson stated.

All of our heads snapped to look at him, Lisa chuckled nervously,
"Its fine, we still have time to decide after you take the SAT."
"I, still have time to decide, its my own choice." he emphasized clearly.
"I think Grayson is right on this one mom and dad." Ethan said. Cameron feigned a yawn from his seat,
"I'm bored, can we just go home now." All the adults murmured in agreement and we all stood up to wear our coats and file out the restaurant.

I was the last to leave the table, I took one last glance to check in case I've left anything. But then my eyes caught onto the crumpled piece of paper that had Grayson act so negatively. My eyes slid sideways, seeing that they were still on their way out I quickened my step and snatched the ball up and unraveled it.

"The world may be your oyster, but it doesn't mean you'll get its pearl."

********************

The next morning was the day Grayson and Ethan took the SAT, I already took it but I didn't have to go to school.  Sliders High's schedule for the seniors was always a mess each year. Lisa was out at the supermarket, Sean was already at his company working, Ethan was obviously over at his friends and Cameron was at school. So I was the only one left in the house as Grayson got ready to leave for the test.

"Did you sleep well last night?" I asked, his eyes seemed duller today
"Yes."
"Do you have everything you need?"
"Yes."
"Do you feel nervous?"
"No." he answered fustratedly.
"Do you need--" my question was interrupted by Grayson's fit of rapid coughing. 
"You ok?" I ask as I bring my palm up to his forehead doing the same with my other hand just to my own.
"I'm fine, let me go." he rasped. But his temperature said otherwise,
"Gosh Grayson you're starting to burning up, you should stay at home."
"And miss the testing?" he challenged as he swatted my arm away from him. I sighed,
"Ok, then let me get you some medicine alright? Don't go!" I hurried into down the hallway to one of the cabinets and found some pills and got Grayson a cup of water on the way. He took both of them in each hand, threw his head back and drowned the pill down his throat.