13

Chapter 13

With her pulse still racing, Annie made her way back stage while another dancer took her place at the pole. 

What in the world had happened out there? The well-dressed man—the one who smelled of expensive cologne and who's breath tasted of top-shelf Cognac—had never came back. After the little freebie she'd given him, he must have left the club. She could really rock his world if he'd let her. And he wouldn't be sorry. She'd push away all thoughts of that gold band weighing down his finger, squeezing so tight he probably didn't even remember who he used to be. Make him forget whoever it was at home, waiting for him to return. A sense of longing pulled deep in her stomach. She wanted to feel him inside of her, wanted to consume every last drop of his release. The need made her restless. Perhaps it was the challenge.

He'd be back. That, she was sure of. And she'd be waiting for him when he did. Because what Annie wanted, Annie always received.

A sudden rush of sadness engulfed her. Annie closed her eyes, letting darkness take over. The familiar twist of knots tightened like a vise in her stomach. A memory? She squeezed her eyes tighter, wanting everything to disappear. And just as quickly as it arose, the moment passed.

Collapsing half-naked into a red, canvass chair, she let her black heels slide to the floor and leaned back, propping her bare feet on a table. She pulled a cigarette from the open pack sitting nearby and drug in deeply as she held a lighter to the tip. The sting of nicotine swirled inside of her. Annie tipped her head back and slowly exhaled, letting a thin stream of smoke billow around her.

The grip of tension melted from her shoulders. A little relaxation was exactly what she needed. If she couldn't find a way to relieve some stress, she might explode. With Jacob out of town, Hudson was her responsibility. And that wasn't an easy task when she had other obligations on her plate. Looking after her friend was a full-time job. Thank God that cop had agreed to drive past the apartment during his shift. It wasn't quite the same as babysitting her, but it would have to do. At least if that asshole attacker saw a patrol car lurking around, it might deter him from trying anything stupid.

Annie took another long drag, the swell of her lungs jutting her breasts forward. She wasn't sure if it was the nicotine or the act of deep breathing that made her heart rate slow, but after awhile, a sort of calm took over.

The back door creaked open, letting in a rush of soggy night air.

"Hey, lover."

Annie turned to the voice. "Hey, Molly. How's it goin'?" She took one last pull before squashing the cigarette out in an ashtray. It spilled over with lipstick-stained butts.

Molly threw her shoulder bag on a ratty, leather couch and let out a huff. "I've seen better days. What about you?"

"Same."

The dancer plopped down in a chair across from her. "Have you been out there yet?" she asked, cocking her head toward the thumping music.

Annie nodded but didn't say a word.

"How's the crowd?"

"The usual mix. Some regulars, some new faces." She shrugged. "Didn't pay that much attention."

Molly leaned forward, propping her elbows on the tabletop. "You high?"

Annie let out a long breath. "No. Just had a few shots before Big D put an end to it."

"Yeah, he's got eyes like a hawk." Molly leaned back and brought one knee up to her chest. She hugged it with her arms. "I swear Stella has him spying on us."