Chapter 14

"Where are we going?" The little blonde girls shakey voice spoke out to her mother.

"We.... are going to go meet daddy, okay?" That seemed to satisfy the girl, so Lacey went back to playing with her doll.

Around an hour of straight driving, Melanie turned right into the driveway of a run down log cabin. Shingles were falling and siding looked rotted it various places. The steps leading to the front door looked like they couldn't hold any weight.

Melanie pulled straight to the connected garage, stopping a few feet away. She got out and opened the back door, unbuckling Lacey and setting the girl on her hip.

Then she walked to the kitchen door and shoved it open.

Tara P.O.V.

I stood leaning against the counter at Scoops, watching Abel eat ice cream and Wayne feed Thomas. The absence of Lacey was blinding. Just last night I could hear Abel crying for his big sister. I missed her helping me make dinner and breakfast.

My phone going off interrupted my thinking. Pulling it out of my pocket, I frowned. The caller I.d. said unknown. I opened it, gasping when I saw what it said. Unser and Chucky looked at me in alarm.

"Something wrong Tara?" Before he finished speaking, I was shaking my head and walking toward the door.

"No, I just remebered I have to go pick up something at the hospital. Can you watch the boys? Thanks." Rushing to my car, I got in and sped off. As soon as I opened that text, I knew it was from her.

From Melanie.