Chapter 36

When Caspian woke up, it was to discover that he was lying in a bed. The stinging scent of antiseptics filling the air and the white walls and ceiling let him know this much, at least. He was in the hospital wing of the Colosseum.

When did I get here?

"I see that you're finally awake," a voice said in his ear. Caspian turned to find Erica sitting by his bedside.

"Erica... where's Ele?"

"Hmph!" Erica crossed her arms and huffed. "You wake up to discover that someone as magnificent as myself has been watching over you, and the first thing you ask me about is your girlfriend? That's just rude."

When Caspian continued to stare blankly at her, she sighed.

"Elincia is already in enough trouble. She can't afford to show you anymore favoritism than she already has."

"I see. So, it's politics, is it?"

"Yes."

"I hate politics."

"Ufufufu, don't we all."

"By the way, where's the rest of your entourage."

"Well, Derek is right here." Erica gestured to Derek, who Caspian only now realized was standing directly behind Erica. How a man in bright red armor could have been missed was beyond him. "Tiffania went to the restroom, and her brother is escorting her. I would have gone myself, but I promised Elincia that I would keep an eye on you."

"I see. What about Cassidy?"

Erica's smile was reminiscent of a fox. "You mean you haven't noticed?"

"Haven't noticed what?" Caspian asked.

Erica glanced down. Caspian followed her gaze to find, much to his surprise, a sleeping Cassidy. She was sitting on a chair, while the rest of her lay against the bed. The young maid had a firm grip on his hand as she dozed. Her forehead was creased, as if she was experiencing an unpleasant dream.

"She hasn't let go of your hand since she came in," Erica added.

"Huh..." Caspian had lost feeling in his hand. Was it because Cassidy was gripping it so hard that she had cut off the circulation, or the remnants of the poison in his system? He didn't know.

"You're remarkably calm," Erica observed.

Frowning, he tried to work around that statement. "Why wouldn't I be calm?"

"No reason, I suppose." Erica shook her head and smiled. "In either event, let me congratulate you on your victory. It was an impressive match."

Caspian almost scowled. "Thank you, but if it hadn't been for that poison, the match would have been over long before Julius even had a chance to attack."

"It was the poison that made your fight so impressive," Erica countered. "Fighting off a poison of that caliber isn't easy. That you did so while in the midst of battle is incredible. Be proud, Caspie, for you have earned my admiration."

"That doesn't make me feel very proud," Caspian deadpanned. Erica pouted, but he changed subjects. "What about the other matches? Have any of those started yet?"

"The preliminary set of matches are all over," Derek answered. "The winners were Adesh, Christo, Heracles, Darin, and Gustav."

So, Heracles and Adesh had won. That didn't surprise him. Heracles was raw strength personified, and Adesh, from what Caspian had seen of his movements, held the fluid grace of an experienced fighter. Christo's victory was a bit surprising, but not out of the question. That being said...