Chapter 2: Underground City

Start from the beginning

          Harriette cast his son a look that could only mean sorry. She helped herself not to quiver as regret started haunting her inside, ready to mangle her emotions apart.

          "Did you ever love us mom?" he lamented, in tired but hopeful voice.

           "Oh...Charlie, my baby" sobbed Harriette. She cupped Charlie's cheeks with her palm and looked at him as if her eyes could say the words her mouth was supposed to speak about. But no words came out. No, she couldn't do it, not now. She let her eyes linger at those liquid black eyes of Charlie, seeing the different emotions being held there. She brushed his hair with her fingers and rested her chin over his head, wrapping Charlie inside her arms.

          "Why did you leave us?" he whispered.

          "I wish I can explain now, Charlie. But I promise that I will, someday. Your dad and I—we will explain it to you, I promise!" she said, casting him a reassuring look before gently pulling herself away.

          "Are you staying here with us?" he suddenly asked, the back of his hand wiping his eyes dry. Charlie himself felt as if he couldn't go on throwing any more questions, though he wanted to stubborn. He needed that. Even just few questions, he thought, must be answered now.  

          "Yes Charlie... I am" Hariette sobbed. She handed him a saucer of still hot waffles and poured syrup atop of it.

          "Your dad won't be here until noon but as soon as he's home, we'll head to York where we will be celebrating your birthday. Come home as soon as your classes are finished, ok" she crooned.

          Charlie gently nodded as he started consuming the waffles and pancakes. They were good, he couldn't argue more that her mom's cooking remained the best in spite of all those years that passed. That breakfast was a good start for the day and he didn't want to spoil it by asking his mother any more questions. He promised her mom he would come home early, realizing that such day might not happen again soon, knowing how busy his mom was.

          At the class he learned that his best friend, Bertie, and his family, had just moved to the city of Luxor. Bertie told him numerous times before, that they might move any moment, and still he wasn't able to stop himself from sulking about Bertie not even saying goodbye before leaving. Bertie did promise though, that he would surely find time to visit him. But as he recalled what his mom said about them going to York to celebrate his birthday, he started worrying about how long they were going to stay there. Today was also the last day of school and he knew that he had to wait for two more months before the next school year.

          Then came Marygold. Today he finally decided to confess everything about what he'd been feeling for her. It took him nearly seven months rehearsing his lines, only to end up stumbling upon those three delicate words. In the end, he got nothing. He was sure that when Marygold said it was only friendship she could offer him, all his chances were gone, and that was it. He decided that that was the last time, and that he would not say those words to her, ever, again.

          And just when he thought that was the end of his troubles for the day, the armed government men came.