19. "He's gone."

Chp19. "He's gone."

•••••••••••••••••••

•••••••••••••••••••

It had occurred to me me that both Austin and Cora were actually quite hungry themselves and it wasn't just me.

"Cora, I can't walk in there like this." I said pointing to my dress as we made our way to the diner that read, Sally's Diner.

"Don't worry, I managed to slip in some extra clothes after we got off the car." She smiled and handed me her bag.

As soon as we stepped into the diner, I quickly made my way to the bathroom. Lucky for me, it was empty. Of course it would be empty since it's two in the morning by now. Besides us, who else would be eating at this time?

I quickly changed into a pair of jeans and an old t-shirt Cora brought along. I took one look in the mirror, the outcome was defiantly not pretty at all. I looked like I had been jumped in an alley or something. My mascara and whole makeup in general; was all over my eyes and cheeks making me look like some type of wild animal. My hair was flying in all sorts of directions, it was safe to say I looked a complete mess. I turned on the water from the sink and washed my face completely, trying my best to get all the makeup off. I wiped my self with some paper towels and took those nice curls that were once peacefully laying on my shoulders and tossed them into a simple ponytail. And here it was, average Mia staring back at me though the mirror. Simple me.

I sighed turning the sink off and grabbing Cora's purse, making my way back to the diner. I was quick to spot Cora and Austin sitting in a booth. There was only a total of three other people eating. Two, who I'm guessing were a couple and one other man just eating his food alone. This diner looked sad, very sad to be exact.

"Thanks for the clothes." I said giving Cora back her purse.

"Don't mention it." She smiled, taking it back.

I took a seat next to Cora and across from Austin. It would have been way too awkward to sit next to Austin, probably just as much as sitting across from him. It were my choice I'd be buried six feet underground right now. But I'm just not that lucky. The awkward silence between all three of us was nerve wracking. After all the events that happened today, we were just at a loss of words you can say. But I was always at a loss of words when it came to these type of things.

"Oh, Mia" Cora instantly turned her side towards me. "We already ordered our food."

"Oh. Well I should probably order m-"

Austin coughed falsely, interrupting me right away. He took his arms and crossed them over his chest, gently leaning back against the booth.

I wasn't going to lie, I'm starving. But eating in front of them- especially Austin, it's just different. In general I didn't like eating in front of people, I always felt like I was being watched. And being observed was one thing I hated for sure. It didn't really matter when I was with my friends or family. But here, it mattered. I would be so uncomfortable.

"We already ordered for you." Cora gave me her strict look. Which usually meant to just do as told instead of trying to piss her off.

I mumbled a small thanks along with a weak smile. The clothes I was currently wearing were way too baggy for me. But I kind of liked it. The waitress finally came to our table, handing our food. A burger with fries and milkshake, now I can't say no to that. In a matter of seconds we all devoured our food, leaving nothing behind but an empty clear plate. It was one of the best meals I've had since forever. Even though it's not healthy at all or even considered a real meal, still I needed that.

After we finally left the diner, we got back on road. The sun was starting to rise, revealing buildings and tress passing by. I couldn't help but notice how we hadn't played any music all along the way, that could've saved us a whole lot of awkward situations. We drove for hours, it was getting tiring just sitting down uncomfortably for such a whole load of time. Around six in the morning Austin's phone rang, waking up Cora and I. It was only Logan. Austin had put him on speaker so we had found out what happened to Brandon after all. Apparently after Logan finished him up, the cops had showed up causing a complete ruckus. Brandon was arrested right away, for other unknown reasons only Austin and Logan knew about. Probably not even Cora knew what they were.

I was beyond happy to find out that he was behind bars. I still needed to find out what the whole thing was all about anyways. I knew for a fact that Austin knew everything. And this, I just have to find out.

Eventually, we arrived at a hotel. Not a motel this time, thankfully.

Austin talked to the lady at the front desk and payed for our room, she quickly handed us the key.

As we made our way to the elevator, Cora stayed behind and watched. I turned around in confusion to why she wasn't walking along with us. Her face looked fierce, she was that type of girl. She would be that girl you'd classified as a complete bitch, or the way she would dress and act, a stuck up rebel. And it's true, she was. But when it came to me, she was nothing like that at all. She was so nice to me, and I was glad. I did not want to be one of those people she strongly hates or dislikes, that's just more trouble for me.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Aren't you coming?" I questioned with a bit of concerned on my face.

"No." She shook her head expressionless.

"What do you mean?" I asked even more confused to why she had said no. I really needed her to tag along with us, it wasn't healthy for me to be left alone with Austin for so long.

"I'm not going with you and Austin." She shrugged carelessly.

I looked over to Austin, he had to make her stay. But it looked like he couldn't care less. "Austin-"

Before I even had to finish my sentence to Austin, Cora had interrupted me. "Austin and I have already discussed this. It's too much. I can't keep going with you guys, it's a matter of time before I get caught." She sighed. "I hope to see you soon, but for now... It's too risky to be all three of us."

"Cora, you're confusing me." I said dropping one of the bags Austin had let me carry onto the lobby's floor.

She looked over to Austin, chuckling to herself and looked down at her combat boots. "You still haven't told her?" She said to Austin, who only stood in silence. Again not even caring.

"I thought by now you would have." Cora shook her head in disappointment.

Austin stood in silence. My whole body completely froze in it's place, leaving me completely frigid. I couldn't move, I was pretty sure my heart was skipping beats as well. Everything was going crazy. My stomach wouldn't stop making all these twists and turns, as for my head; it wouldn't stop rushing all over. I was breathless, I wanted to know what they were taking about. It was something about me, I knew it. Only a small amount of thing started to make sense to me. We were running, we were hiding away form something, or someone. Something is wrong, and everyone knows it except me.

Cora pushed my thoughts away and spoke again, "My ride will be here shortly."

After a long while of just standing there motionless, Austin finally came towards me. He nodded as Cora started to walk away. She had waved at me but I couldn't return it do to the fact that I was still in shock she was leaving us. Austin picked up the bag that was on the floor and threw it over his shoulder. He pulled on my arm causing me to shot back to reality; both of us walking inside the elevator.

We had reached our room as Austin quickly opening it, letting us in. The room was huge, the fact that this hotel was big and expensive explained a lot. It smelled really nice and had such an amazing view; very unlike that motel we were in before. This room was probably a fortune, but to Austin that would be nothing compared to what he has.

Austin settled the bags down and took off his pullover sweater. As he did his undershirt slowly rises up along with his it revealing his toned abs. I had tried my hardest not to look, believe me I tried. As Austin noticed I was looking; he quickly pulled his undershirt down and only smirked at me causing my cheeks to go tomato red.

He threw his sweater on the couch and quickly kicked off his vans as he laid down.

"I ordered room service."

"For what?" I asked still standing by the door. I don't really know why but I didn't feel like moving anywhere. I was uncomfortable everywhere that I was. I just couldn't settle.

"To eat? What else?" He chuckled slowly, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"I'm not really that hungry." I said hoping that wouldn't get him mad in any sort of way.

"You're going to eat." He ordered me.

I was afraid of the way he was getting. Austin had many different phases or personalities, I should say. You'll never know. One second he'll be calm and collected but the next, he'll make you feel like the most smallest invaluable thing in the world. Like you were nothing. That was just him, and I highly doubt he'll ever change. Maybe he will, but not for the better.

I didn't want to make him angry, I knew the possible outcome. "Thank you but-"

He shot up right away and stood up. His eyes were drained from color leaving them looking plain and simple. "I don't care what you have to say. You will eat. This thing happened exactly to Cora, she would never eat after-." Austin decided to not finish that sentence. He was close to revealing something about Cora, but kept his mouth shut. I was hoping he would have continued on, but never really did.

"What?" I asked in confusion.

"I've seen it way too many times. People getting sick."

"I'm fine." I choked out.

Austin ran a hand through his messy set of curls lying on top of his head perfectly. "I have way too much shit on my plate I don't need you being sick being added to that."

The last thing on my mind was my health. I had much bigger things to worry about than me, I was taken away from everyone- from my family.... my life. Although I was getting some sort of sorrow or stupid senseless sympathy from Austin, I didn't want it. I was worried about much more bigger things than him feeling sorry for me.

"I ordered right after the lady at the front desk gave me the key, I demanded our food be brought to us as soon as possible. You aren't the only one starving."

Austin took out a navy blue beanie from one of the bags and slowly put it on. He licked his lips as he did, I hated when he did that in front of me. He was such a stuck up person. I couldn't stand that. But since he was very attractive, it's something you just have to do. Flaunt it. And Austin made sure to do just that every single day.

The door swung completely open, causing Austin to shoot his gear up. My heart skipped beats. What was happening? I couldn't explain. How was someone even supposed to be able to just walk in like that? These doors were impossible to get through without a key, and Austin had the key.

Logan came rushing in, panicked. I had no idea what was going on, but by the looks of it; Austin was just as clueless as me. Neither him and I had any idea Logan would just show up like that. His face was all drained from color and his usual vibrant ocean blue eyes were pale. He looked as if he's seen a ghost.

"Logan?" Austin shook his head confused and frustrated. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Logan didn't bother to answer his question, he moved right away in such a hurry. I stood in the same place as before, shocked and frighten. Logan wasn't this type to freak out, it seemed like he always stood his ground. But today, he was just the opposite of that.

"Doesn't matter." Logan motioned Austin away with his hand. "They're here."

Austin's expression changed for a small amount of time. He stared at Logan and slowly to me. I gave Austin a confused expression, ignoring it he turned his gaze back to Logan.

"Shit." I heard him murmur under his breath. "How the hell did they find us?" He practically yelled to Logan with fury.

"Whoa whoa, man calm down. Don't lash at me." Logan said backing away from Austin and putting his heads up to surrender.

Austin paced around the room, his hands were all over his face as he rubbed it in frustration. He showed how angry he was, he slowly bent down to pick his vans up and put them back on. Cursing under his breath every chance he had. He curled both his hands into tight fists, so tight his knuckles were turning an unhealthy color of white.

I looked at Logan who in fact, was the same as Austin. Only Logan had a softer expression. I couldn't stop wondering all the possible scenarios that was going on. I needed to find out. I was so tired of feeling clueless all the time. After all, I did deserve to know. I'm the one stuck in this whole mess not them. I'm the one who was abducted by some heartless men just for stupid revenge. Revenge I still didn't even know the reason why. But I knew one thing for sure; I needed to find out what was really going on. I can't hesitate to find out anymore.

"How?" Austin questioned Logan once more. "This shit can't be fucking happening." He hissed angrily.

Logan took a seat on the couch and shook his head to Austin. As he rubbed his face and ran a hand through his black hair uncontrollably. "Riley has been keeping tabs on you since you left. He's furious, he doesn't know I'm helping you. But if he did- you and I both know I'll be a dead man."

My eyes shot wide in seconds, the mention of his name sent straight unpleasant vibes towards me. "Riley?!" I spoke up, my tone completely catching Austin's and Logan's attention.

"Fuck, Austin. Why haven't you told her yet?" Logan said, standing up from the couch and walking over to Austin.

Austin didn't seem to listen, he was out in his own little world. Which every time he would do that, I'd panick. Who knows what goes inside that head of his. Most importantly, I couldn't get out what Logan was trying to say. There are obviously something Austin is not telling me, I deserve to know. It's Riley. I knew it, this feeling told me all of this was because of that little piece of crap. We had been running away from him for three days. That part I understood right away. Still, there wasn't much clues for me to put together. It was far way too complicated. I felt like I was going to puke. My air was closing in on me, I felt like I couldn't breathe. Everything started spinning and I couldn't take it longer. I walked on over to the couch and settled myself down trying to catch a hold of myself.

Both Austin and Logan talked in whispers, I wasn't able to hear. This made me loose it. I have the right to know, this whole shit I'm involve with as well. "What the hell is going on?" I yelled loudly, I wasn't the type to really curse so when I did. It was a serious matter.

Logan gave me a sympathetic look and turned to Austin again, giving him a stern look. "You can't keep hiding the truth."

Austin walked passed Logan. He bit his lip before he talked. "It's for her own good." He said.

I dashed over to Austin and Logan. I couldn't care less if Austin would get mad at me for what I'm about to do. I place myself right in front of Austin's face, so close I was able to notice almost every feature of his. "You are going to tell me!" I yelled in his face and pointed one finger to his chest. He clenched his jaw and continue to stare.

"Stop ignoring me. I'm tired of feeling lost and clueless. It's practically obvious this whole thing that's happening is about me, I need to know. You need to tell me." I hissed angrily. I felt my blood boiling at how angry I was. I couldn't control it. I was seconds away from lashing out on Austin. And I wasn't that type of girl who had those type of anger issues. This was just a moment of fury.

Austin shook his head and parted his lips to speak, "It's too much. The truth doesn't never sets you free, it just kills you."

"- Austin, you have to tell her. You don't have a choice. She needs to know." Logan cut in.

Still, Austin refusing to give in he shook his head for the fifth time. "I can't."

"You will." Logan said sternly. "You don't have much time, Riley is only some miles away from here. He'll find you soon if you don't hurry and get the fuck out of here." As Logan continued on. I felt like I was on the verge of crying. Not because I was sad, but because I was scared. So damn scared. "Hell will happen if he finds you. Not only will he kill her but you as well. Doesn't matter if you're like a son to him. You and I know Riley, and he doesn't hesitate to kill..." And with that Logan dome leaving Austin and I breathless.

My heart sank. I wasn't able to comprehend anything. To kill. As in dead. He wanted to kill. To be more specific, Riley did. Logan gave me an apologetic look before he fled the room, vanishing. Leaving only Austin and I again. I felt like my knees were going weak. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't blink. I couldn't think right. I couldn't do anything. Austin walked over closer to me, but I didn't want him to. I backed away as soon as he did. I was still distributing everything in. At this point I'm really hoping this is only a dream and I would wake up in no time. Only it wasn't. It was a nightmare; and those never end.

"Mia..." Austin tried again. Stepping closer to me; still I backed away. I was at a loss of words; of thoughts. My world was crumbling down right before my eyes.

I blinked rapidly to not let the tears fall but it was useless. My frigid body dropped to the floor unexpectedly. I laid a hand on my chest, there was pain there. Something on my throat wouldn't let me swallow. And that headache that had gone away before, was back. Only harder this time. I was tumbling down and I couldn't stop it. Every little hope that I had inside me died a little. But still; I will make it out of here and be reunited with everyone. With mom and dad. I'm not giving up. no, not now.

Austin reached down and pulled me up. I was pretty sure, he saw me as weak. But I didn't care; it was time to face the truth. Because the truth was... I was weak.

"Austin..." I chocked out, barely even breathing. "What is going on?" I cried.

Austin didn't respond. I felt sorrow in his eyes; in his face. "Why? Why is Riley doing this? What did I do?..." I said calming down as I wiped myself. No, I'm not giving in.

But Austin still hadn't reply at all. He continued to just stay there, hands in his pocket and an expressionless face.

He cleared his throat and sighed softly. "I'm sorry."

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows together confused. I wasn't following what he was saying.

"I know how it feels- trust me, I do."

I was so lost. He wasn't making any sense, I don't understand why he's saying these things. Why he's acting this way. I swallowed hard, and bit the inside of my cheek in order to stop myself from crying again.

"Austin, w-what are you trying to say?"

"Your father."

At the mention of my dad, my breathing sped up. And the whole room around me started to spin uncomfortable. I could almost feel my heartbeat coming out of my chest. I couldn't take this. My dad is fine, he's fine. Completely fine. Nothing is wrong... Nothing. I shouldn't worry too much, I tend to do that a lot. Way too many times, actually. I worry for nothing. Nothing at all. He's fine. I know he is.

I cleared my throat feeling myself start to tear up once again."What about him?"

"I don't know- I don't know how to tell you this..." Austin cleared his throat and leaned against the wall. He looked down at his shoes before looking back up at me. "I've received these news before. I know how this is going to go. I hate to be the one to tell you this, fuck. This is so fucked up, I'm sorry."

"Austin- just say it!" I hollered, "what is going on?"

"He's gone."

"What?"

"Your dad... Fuck, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Your dad, Mia- he passed away."

That was the last thing I heard before everything had shut down.

••••••••••••••••••••••

VOTE & COMMENT