22. Bonds

~TimeSkip!~

"Unfortunately" Yamoto said as we all stared down at Sai "I'll have to keep you here with a clone to monitor your actions while we go and search for Sasuke."

Sai stared at the wood that was tightly wrapped around his body and remained silent. Naruto nodded firmly and slammed his fist ino his open palm before turning around walking off.

"Alright!" He exclaimed, that familair determination in his voice "lets go!"

"I wouldn't bother" Sai said quietly as he hung his head "I...I've met Sasuke."

Naruto stopped in his tracks and a harsh breeze flew through the air as sand blew everywhere and my hair thrashed about. Naruto turned around and stared at Sai with wide eyes.

"I told him that Sakura said you considered him like a brother" Sai continued "and that you were risking everything to get him back...but he didn't care. He told me he didn't consider you as anything but a obstacle in his way, and that he only had one brother that he must kill...he...he didn't care about you."

Naruto stared at the ground sadly and didn't reply. I could tell Sai wasn't trying to provoke him or anyting; he was just telling him everything he heard and saw. However, Sai will never understand, no matter how much he sees or hears.

"Why" Sai questioned "why do you risk life and limb for someone like that? Why would you put your own life on the life for someone if no one has ordered you too?"

Naruto contiuned staring at the ground for a minute and didn't answer. Finally, he raised his head and gave Sai a small smile that shocked me.

"Sasuke is my friend" he said simply "he's one of the few people in this world that showed me kindness when the world was trying to beat me down. All my life I always wanted to be better then Sasuke, but now that I'm older, I realized all I wanted was for him to acknowledge me...to say he was proud of me. He and I have a special bond that I don't want to end. I'd do anything to see my friend again and make fun of him...just one more time."

"O-Orochimaru will rip you to shreds" Sai stuttered, his eyes wide in disbelief.

"So what" Naruto sid laughing slightly "I'll fight anyone I have to in order to protect the people I care about. If Orochimaru rips my arms out, I'll kick him to death! If he rips my legs off, I'll bite him to death! If he rips my head off, I'll stare him to death! If he gouges my eyes out, I'll curse him from the grave! No matter what I'll take Sasuke back from Orochimaru! I'll protect Sakura with my life! And I'll stay by Ruka's side until the day I die! BECAUSE THEY'RE MY FRIENDS! I WON'T LET ANY HARM COME TO THEM!"

Sai stared at Naruto in pure shock as Sakura smiled deeply and I smirked. Sheesh...what a baka.

"You're not staying with me 24/7 Uzamaki" I said playfully glaring at him.

"Aw, come on Ruka..."

I giggled slightly and was about to reply when a shuffling sound brought me to my senses. I hurriedly slid my sword out of its sheath and deflected the Kunai that were sailing towards me as I leapt back; Yamoto, Naruto, and Sakura following my example. I looked up just as Kabuto landed in front of Sai and smirked at us; making my blood boil in my chest.

"Seems you've been captured Sai" Kabuto said simply "how unfortunate."

"Don't interfere" Naruto said coldly as the clones he had created on top of the cliff conjured up a Rasengan "get the hell out of here!"

"Come now" Kabuto said adjusting his glasses "is that anyway to address an old friend? I thought we had a strong friendship during the preliminaries...or maybe...was watching Ruka cough up blood to much for you to handle?"