Prologue

Prologue

10 years ago...

"I'm coming for you!" I hear his voice from behind me.

I push myself further as I pick up in speed. I keep sprinting even though I can feel every bone in my body scratching up against each other; that, and my legs are turning into jelly. My heart is racing and my breath is coming out in short pants at the fear of being caught.

I fly past trees as I race forward, the world stretching past me in the blink of an eye.

When the clearing comes into view, a little below the cliff, I let out a breath of relief. But before I can get too comfortable, the wind is suddenly knocked out of me from the impact of another colliding into me.

Suddenly, I'm no longer jumping down the cliff but rolling down it while bearing another person's weight.

"Get off!" I yell as my head hits a rock before smashing against the snowy earth beneath me.

My head is throbbing, as is the rest of my body. I'm sure I'll have broken ribs by the time this fall ends.

"I'm trying!" he shouts back as we both tumble over each other.

"Try harder!" I shout and manage to plunge my elbow into his rib-cage.

"Ouch!" he yelps as his head slams into a tree stump.

The world stops spinning the second we finally come to a stop at the bottom of the cliff. I pull myself up to my feet and notice the blood and wounds. Hurt, I limp my way into the clearing, but when I see the two authoritative figures standing in the center, I attempt an immediate U-turn.

"Not so fast!"

Shoot!

I turn around and send them a sheepish wave.

The authoritative figure, also known as Alpha Leo of the Silver Moon pack, rolls his eyes at me. "Bring Kian and get your ass over here."

I nod and turn back to the unconscious figure lying in the snow.

I crouch down and make an attempt in lifting his body but he's too heavy. "Oh, well," I mumble to myself. Shrugging in defeat, I clutch onto his arm and begin dragging him across the mud and ice until I reach his father.

"And now," I pause dramatically, "I present you with Prince Kian, your royal Alphaness!"

I step aside to allow thee Alpha to inspect the damage done to his son.

"Hailey," my mom gives me a look.

"Yes?" I answer simply.

"Behave," she reprimands me.

"Behave," I mimic her behind her back.

Leo picks up Kian before turning to me with blazing eyes. "This is the third time, just today, that you and Kian have snuck off into the forest without my permission. There are rogues nearby. It's not safe. I've got the Beta and the trackers on your scents."

"Sir Alphaness, if I may--"

"You may not! And stop calling me that!" he snaps.

"Okay then, Master Alphaness..." I continue, ignoring his disapproving stare, "it's practically all Kian's fault because he's the one that followed me out into the woods."

"Hailey, why were you in the woods to begin with?" my mom asks with a sigh. "If you're going to lie, at least do a good job."

"As I was saying," I return my attention to thee Alpha, "before I was so rudely interrupted..." I give my mother a stern glance, "it's all Kian's fault," I lie. "Now, I'm going to go but I'd advise you to punish Kian accordingly," I conclude and begin to make my grand exit.