An Anniversary to Remember

By miracleinprogress

~

Hello. I am actually celebrating my one year anniversary with my girlfriend today. She is Muslim and I am Christian. We both come from homophobic families (although she hasn't come out to her family yet) and my family was livid when I came out to them (they went as far as telling me I was demon-possessed). Although my coming out experience was traumatic, I didn't hide from the feelings that I had towards women. Over the last couple of years I have been in relationships with women, in which I had to keep it a secret from my family; this caused tension within the relationships because most of my previous partners were out to their families. In my current relationship, although still a secret from my family, has made me more liberated and confident about who I am. As I mentioned earlier, I am currently in an interfaith and interacial relationship with a wonderful person. Over the past year, we have faced many challenges from being verbally harassed in public to my parents trying to separate us. Today, on June 2, 2016, I am celebrating our strength and love as a couple; the overcoming of obstacles and faith we had in one another. We still live in our respective family homes and live two hours away from each other, but that hasn't stopped us from being together. No matter where you are in your journey, don't give up. If I had given up when my family doing didn't approve of my love interest, I wouldn't have been celebrating today, and I wouldn't have this story to tell. Love conquers all.