Chapter Four

In the quiet stone chapel of Saint Catharine, inside the convent of the Sisters of Charity, Mari waited to speak to Princess Katrona. Echoing through the corridors, she could hear the choir singing, and the peaceful sound soothed her.

Several minutes passed before a nun returned to the room, her habit swirling around her legs as she came to a stop. "Lady Mari, I apologize, but Sister Katrona is deep in prayer and cannot be disturbed. Can anyone else be of help?"

Mari was momentarily taken aback. She had assumed the princess would see her. "No, I.... Do you know how long?"

The nun shook her head. "She is not responsive, Lady. She could be involved for hours."

"Oh! Well, it's not that important, I suppose. If she.... Ah, never mind. Thank you for your kindness, Sister."

Mari turned to go, realizing she would have to make the decision on whether to stay on her own. Princess Katrona had not ordered her to stay—an order she would not have refused—but her statement was enough. She only questioned her part in whatever events were unfolding. How could she play such an important role?

As she passed through the inner door, she saw a nun speaking to a hooded woman standing outside the outer door. Their conversation seemed urgent. Mari tried to hurry past without eavesdropping, but the woman reached out and snagged the sleeve of her dress.

Surprised, Mari stopped. The woman said no words, only turned to her. Mari could not see her face under the hood, but she assumed the woman was studying her.

"My lady?" she asked after a moment.

The woman didn't answer, but let go of her sleeve and made a vague dismissive gesture. Mari continued on her way, feeling clouded and, for some reason, a little dirty. She said a quick blessing for the stranger, and went away.

***

The hooded woman flinched as the girl walked away. She scowled and made a mental note to find out who she was. There was something...good about her that just didn't sit well.

She realized the nun was waiting patiently for her to return to their conversation.

"Where were we?" she said briskly.

"I was telling you that Sister Katrona is not available to visitors, Lady."

"Oh, yes. And this is because...?"

"She is in prayer, and cannot be disturbed."

The hooded woman almost ordered the nun to disturb her, but restrained herself. "May I wait for her?"

The nun paused a moment, frowning. The hooded woman thought she might actually refuse outright. What she said, though, was hardly the invitation she needed. It was almost a challenge.

"Enter, if you may."

The hooded woman knew better than to try. Someone of her...religious orientation could not enter a holy place without a direct, sincere invitation to cross the threshold. Something was warning this aged cow of a nun that this visitor should not receive such a welcome.

"I've reconsidered. I will come again on my next visit." With that, she turned swiftly, her cloak swirling around her, and left.

These cursed nuns and their clarity of vision, she thought. I'll just need to find another way to get an invitation inside.

***

Inside the Chapel of the Virgin, Katrona lay prostrate on the floor, her arms flung out to each side, her forehead pressed against the cool stones.