Chapter seven: The Queen's Knight & Father

The days dragged on and on as my wound slowly healed, in the meantime I was treated like a princess. I got everything I asked for, and even though my wishes were humble they were fulfilled within an hour. Always.

Now I was lying, in Kyle’s bed with cuddles by my side and my favorite books on the nightstand, new hardcover versions that looked so expensive I dared not touch them. Kyle hadn’t left me for more than mere minutes and there was always someone, his mother or father, to watch me like a hawk when he left. The longer it went on, the more nervous I became. My mother had come and asked if she could take me home, I longed for home for some time to think about things on my own but Kyle had politely rejected, without consulting me. I knew he meant well but he was overdoing it just a little. I couldn’t wait until the moment Regina told me I could walk again, then I’d at least be able to walk around again and Kyle would only be the shadow that was following me.

“Jenn,” Kyle said in his, as always, kind voice.

“Yes?” I knew what was coming next, he had to leave for a moment, did I need something? His mother/father would be watching me.

“I have to take care of some things, do you need something?” He asked.

“No thank you.” I said and I hugged cuddles.

“Alright, and I’ve arranged for my beta to watch after you.” Well that was new.

“No,” I said, I didn’t want strangers watching me.

“Come on Jenn, next to me he is the strongest person here. He is really nice, you’d like him.” He said, and he might have been right, but I didn’t want to push my luck.

“No.” I said firmly. “I’m not a baby, I can’t go anywhere your parents have supernatural hearing, when I need something I’ll ask them!” I said.

“I won’t have it, Justin is watching after you if you want it or not.” He said.

“No, I’ll send him away.” I said.

“He won’t listen.” He said.

“You sure?” I said while cocking my eyebrow. I saw him doubt for a moment.

“Not when it’s my order.” He stated.

“But what if I ordered him? don’t I have the same power as you?” I asked.

“Not until were married.” He sounded hopeful.

“Like I’d marry you!” I said feeling really angry. I felt sorry the moment I saw his face grow sad, but I wouldn’t apologize, he couldn’t protect me forever.

“I’m sorry, but he will be here soon.” He said before walking backwards to the door, he shot me one last sorrowful look before opening the door, as he stepped out of the room another stepped in. a guy I knew from school called Justin, Justin was a tall built guy with messy blonde hair and dark blue eyes. I had never heard anything bad about him but I, of course, never spoke to him.

Out of protest I gave him a mean look before hiding under the covers with cuddles and QZ in my arms. Like I cared what the stupid beta thought about me.

“Jennifer?” He asked I ignored him.

“He already told me you wouldn’t want to talk to me, or couldn’t, but I just wanted to let you know I’m on your side, I don’t think you should be watched every single second, but I have to since it’s his order. And I brought you a book, he told me you like to read.” He said and I heard him walk towards me. I popped my head up a bit to look at him, I wasn’t quite sure if he was serious or was just trying to win me over. He seemed nervous but sincere enough. I saw the book he held in his hands, I was a normal paperback you buy in stores for a dollar or 10. It was ‘the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.’ One of my favorites. He put it down on the bed next to me and it was hard to resist. Well I couldn’t resist so I grabbed the book and hid myself under the covers again. I heard Justin chuckle.