Prologue

"Don't come near me," she bawled.

"You don't mean that, Shel, come back!" He batted his blue eyes in hopes that would soften her.

"Get AWAY from me." She threw the blue Tiffany's box on the kitchen floor, releasing the tear shaped diamond studs into the air.

Only moments before they were reminiscing about the good old days. Blake recalled their first wedding dance and Shelley willingly added her favorite memory; their first kiss as husband and wife. How had the conversation devolved into this?

Blake reached for Shelley, trying to encourage her to warm up to him. Perhaps if they could just stop fighting long enough to physically touch all would be forgotten. His hand lightly grazed her shoulder. She spun around, writhing from his touch.

"Why do you do this, Shel? We have a wonderful day, and it even feels like it did before... then, you morph into a miserable bitch."

"Me? How dare you ask me why I do this? You're the one that killed us."

Blake ran his hands through his coarse cashew colored hair. Tears stung the corner of his eyes and he didn't bother to hide the sentiment. "I told you I was sorry. I am sorry. What else can I possibly do?"

"You can go back in time and keep it in your pants." Shelley's eyes glistened with tears. Blake pulled her towards him and held on tight. She attempted to wiggle out of his grasp. He firmly held her in place trying to comfort her eruption of emotions. Her hazel eyes, rimmed in red from crying, shattered him. He loved her no matter what she believed, but how was he supposed to convince her of something that she was so adamant about?

The affair was over. It had been for quite some time, but Shelley was still so volatile. There was no convincing her of anything. Like the therapist said, only time will heal these deep wounds. In the meantime they could try to move on, but if it wasn't possible then a divorce would be likely.

"I'm sorry," Blake whispered into her blonde curls. He pulled her in closer and placed his lips on hers. She responded like she had before the affair, full of passion. He knew what this meant. They both did. Blake deepened the kiss while unfastening her skirt.

He kissed her neck moving his hands below her shirt to release her bra. He longed to strip her bare and take her to the brink. Recklessly he tore open her shirt and found her bare breasts with his open, longing mouth. It only took a single moment for her body to respond.

Shelley moaned and stiffened all at the same time. He knew her body. This is a good sign, he thought. Maybe if I can show her how much I love her she'll believe in me, in us.

"I can't do this," Shelley murmured.

"Yes, you can. Don't you love me?" Blake stared into her hazel eyes, helplessly drowning.

"I do. But I choose me, and right now this is the last thing I need." Shelley straightened and smoothed out her ruffled skirt. She never took her eyes off of him, even as she adjusted her bra and buttoned her shirt. "This isn't working for me. I need time. I need to think about us."

"I've given you time, Shel, lots of it. But if you need more, take it." Blake's gaze fell to the floor.

"Yes, I think that's what's best. I wish I could forget. I wish I could go back to us. But you broke that, and I need to figure out if I can move beyond this rut we've been suspended in for the last year." Shelley inhaled sharply.

"Please take these," Blake picked up the earrings that were by his feet on the pea green ceramic tile. "They're the ones you've always wanted. Whatever happens with us happens. This is a gift for you."

"No, I can't," Shelley momentarily protested. Blake folded her hand over the iconic blue suede pouch.

"Please, don't make me beg."

"Fine. Thank you." She deposited the pouch into her black messenger bag and moved toward the door. "I'll be in touch, Blake. Take care of yourself."

Just like that she was gone.

Blake watched as she climbed into her black Honda Civic. Part of him wondered if this was the last time he'd see her. He couldn't help but dwell on that one mistake, that one night. How could he let that ruin what they had? How could he be so stupid?