EIGHTEEN

"Let Loose!" Two-Bit yelled

"Huh?" I asked, twirling the pencil in my hand.

"You've got to let loose. You're always so uptight." Two took a swig of his beer.

I shook my head and chuckled. "That's easy for you to say, you don't have any responsibilities."

"Well, sure I do!" Two sat his beer down.

"Like what?" I questioned.

"My responsibilities contain of drinking at least ten beers a day and never missing out on a Mickey Mouse episode. Now that's hard work if you ask me." Two opened another beer bottle.

I laughed. "Yeah, so much harder than writing a whole paper on your life through school, and not to mention I have a ton of feelings right now that I don't know how to control."

"Let me guess," Two-Bit started, "Minnie has a little crush on this guy who has tuff, silky black hair, maybe brown, and bright blue eyes. What's his name? Oh yeah, Sodapop Patrick Curtis."

I rolled my eyes. "Are you going to help me with this paper or not? I have to finish it by tonight, Mick!"

"Aww you called me Mickey. You know you haven't done that in a long time." Two-Bit laid across my bed.

"KEITH MATHEWS, IF YOU DON'T HELP ME WITH THIS PAPER I WILL NEVER WATCH MICKEY MOUSE WITH YOU AGAIN!" I screamed at the top of my lungs which caused Two-Bit to jump and fall off of the bed.

"You know," He stood up, "you didn't have to call me by my first name!"

"You know," I copied his tone of voice, "you could help me with this paper because I'm stressed out!"

He sighed. "Alright, Minnie, tell me your ideas."

"Well....." I started.

//

SARAH AND I gazed at each other in our caps and gowns. This is it. The moment every kid has waited for their whole life.

Sarah turned to me, a smile lit up on her face. "I can't wait to hear your speech."

My stomach felt like it just did a hundred foot drop. "I'm shaking, Sarah. I can't do this."

"I know you can, Skye. You're one of the best writers I've ever met, and I'm not lying. You're going to go out there, receive your diploma, and you're going to look in the audience and find all of your family. They may not be blood, but their darn well close to it. Then, you're going to look down at that paper and read us the most amazing piece you've ever written." Sarah looked me straight in the eyes.

I grinned, my confidence coming back. "Okay."

We all got in line and prepared ourselves for our last day in Austin Texas High School.