I Can't Do This

Sting POV
I woke up the next morning to the smell of pancakes. All I could think about how mouth wateringly delicious they smelled. Rogue must have made some but usually they smelled like a burnt sock.
I got up and walked towards the kitchen. Lucy stood there with a pan in hand hovering over the stove. I was surprised for a second that she was here until I remembered what happened last night. I caught her  trying to flip a pancake in mid air.
"Hey Blondie you should come here more often. I wouldn't mind waking up to this sight." I smirked.
She jumped up in surprise when she heard my voice and  her pancake spattered onto the floor. "Crap Sting! Can you stop sneaking up on me! I thought you were asleep." She bent down to her knees started to clean up the mess.
"This ain't the first time a girl has gone on her knees because of me." I laughed while trying to help her. She slapped me with the rag she was using to clean up the pancake and glared.
" I was trying to make it up to you and Rogue for letting me stay. I thought pancakes would suffice." She explained while trying to wipe away the remnants of the pancake.
" You are going to need a lot more pancakes from all the trouble your snoring did last night." I joked. Lucy looked up at me with a red face.
"I snore?!"
"Just a little bit. But don't worry it was cute."
"Sorry I had no idea." She said blushing and there goes my heart exploding again.
"It's fine. You don't have to make it up to us by being our cook. I have Rogue for that. Although breakfasts aren't as pleasant with him."
"Why do you say that?" She asked and right on queue the little ray of sunshine walked in.
"Good morning bro!" I said cheerfully. Rogue shifted his head towards me, "What do you want piss bucket?"
"I see someone had a goodnight sleep. You going to comb that matted animal that's on your head?" I asked him. He looked like a complete mess but that was his look every morning. He had drool coming down from one side of his cheek and huge bags under his eyes. Each step he took he dragged both of his feet.
"Shut up before I rip out your spleen and shove it down your throat." He grumbled.
"Ah I see someone is very violent today.  But don't be rude and say hi to our guest." I directed his attention towards Lucy. He glanced towards her and nodded his head. I was surprised by that usually he would say something shitty and then apologize for it later on. Goes to show how much he actually liked Lucy.
"Uh, hey?" Lucy awkwardly waved.
"Don't take it personally. He acts like that with everyone in the morning."
"Oh. Uh Rogue do you want me to make you some coffee? Or something?" Lucy asked and Rogue nodded his head again. He sat down at our kitchen table with his head against it.
"Here I got it. You don't really know this kitchen that well. I'm surprised you actually knew where the pancake mix was at." I said while walking over to the cabinet.
"Just did a little snooping. It didn't really take much time to find it. Your cabinet is surprisingly organized." She admitted.
"Well that's Rogues doing. Everything has to be perfect. I wasn't lying when I told you he was like my mom." I laughed while turning on the coffee maker. "Hey Blondie you ever actually successfully flipped a pancake in mid air?"
"No I was trying to until you scared the crap out of me."
"Well then let me show you. " I took the pan out of her hand and seamlessly flipped the pancake in mid air and caught it behind my back.
"How did you do that?" She gaped.
"Skills." I said simply and flipped it again.
"Come on you gotta show me how to do that! I've made Natsu pancakes millions of times but I was never able to successfully do that." She looked so amazed.
" Oh Blondie you will never be able to reach my level of expertise."
"Oh really? What makes you say that?" Lucy walked closer to me.
"Only because simply I am the best. " I inched closer to her till there was only small portion of space in between us. All I could do was focus on her lips.
"For fuck sakes! Just kiss already!" Rogue slammed his hand against the kitchen table. Lucy and I jumped away from each other and I could only blush.
"Shut up Rogue!" I yelled and threw a spatula at him.
"I mean just go for it man. Stop being such a wuss and- What's burning?" He lifted up his head. Lucy and I directed our attention to the stove and found that our food was burning.
"My bad!" I was too distracted to have noticed that I left the cooked pancake on the stove. I quickly took it off and threw it out.
"I think we have made enough pancakes for right now." Lucy said and I agreed.
"I'm going to run to my place and get ready for school." She said while placing all the pancakes on the table.
"Blondie we don't have school today, remember. Natsu burnt down the cafeteria after he thought he could make his food spicer by burning it. So we don't have school for a couple days." I reminded her. Yeah that wasn't a good day at school. I didn't realize the pink haired weirdo was that dumb. At least it provided the author an excuse to be lazy and not write a school day into this chapter.
"Oh yeah that's right. But I should still go and take a shower." She argued.
"Alright go ahead. I'll call you later so we can hang out." I said waving her away.
"Thanks again guys. See you later." And at that she was out the door.
"Call me when you get home." I called out to her before she left.
"You are such a love sick ass." Rogue grumbled. I slammed his head against the table. "And you are an annoying prick."
I served him his coffee and as soon as he took a sip he lit back up. It was like night and day.
"So what happened to you two last night?" He asked sipping his coffee.
"I told you already. We showed up to the planetarium and it was closed. We ended up sitting there and talking. And I think I'm in deeper shit 'cuz Rogue it's getting worse."
"What's getting worse?"
"Those stupid butterflies! I've been trying to crush them with that mallet Gray told me about but they don't go away! I want to die!" I threw my hands up.
"Sting always the drama queen." He laughed. "I'm sure it didn't help that she was sleeping in your house in your clothes on your bed." He smirked to himself.
"I have a feeling you had something to do with that!" I pointed a finger at him.
"I may have told you the wrong day and knew you would go with her and find out you came on the wrong day once you showed up to the planetarium. Resulting in Lucy coming over here and staying because you would be worried about her walking home alone so late at night. I then gave her your clothes and knew you would offer her your bed. So in short I did have something to do with it but it was also your doing too." He glanced up at me with a sly grin as I gaped at him.
"You couldn't have planned all that!"
"No but it would have been genius. Still, you did do that all yourself Sting."
"I can't believe you. No but I am serious! Ugh, Rogue! I almost kissed her right now! Thankfully you said something which knocked me back to my senses." I was now pacing our kitchen.
"Dammit! I should have kept my mouth shut. I really do hate morning me." Rogue sighed. "Honestly Sting when are you going to let yourself be happy and just-" He was interrupted by my phone going off. I walked over to my phone and saw the caller ID. It was Lucy. She probably got home fast.
"Hello?" I answered.
"Oh hey Sting, um the group and I are going to meet at the train station in thirty minutes."
"Wait why?"
"Well Natsu forgot to mention to me yesterday that Lisanna is going to have to leave town for a while. So we are going over there to say our goodbyes."
"Oh um do you want me to come?"
"Well don't you want to say goodbye too?" She asked and I paused for a second. I didn't know the girl that well and I didn't really care she was leaving. But she meant a lot to Lucy and I guess she was supposed to mean something to me too.
"Alright I will see you there." I said flatly and hung up.
"Another date?" Rogue perked up.
" No you jerk. The group is meeting up to send that white haired chick off."
"You mean Lisanna."
" Yeah whatever." I huffed.
"For the last couple of weeks I've been noticing that she doesn't like you all that much." He said stirring the little spoon in his coffee mug.
"Well you ain't the only one. I don't get it. What's her problem? I've only been nice to her and her sister no matter how much they harass me."
"Who knows?" He shrugged but from his tone I could tell there was more to what he knew. "Well shouldn't we get going?" He asked getting up from his seat.
"Yeah I guess." I mumbled. Rogue nodded towards the pile of pancakes on the table. "What about those?"
I glanced at them, "Eh we will save them for later."
----------
Rogue and I were at the train station, looking for the group. Lucy never specifically said where they were going to be. We stood there searching for a while until I saw a familiar ice princess.
"Hey Gray!" I waved my hands. He was pretty much alone except for the blue haired girl who always seemed to be stalking him. He looked up at me and waved back.
"Hey Sting. Do you know where everyone is?" He asked and I told him we were as clueless as him.
"So how is it going with that little crush of yours? Do you still like her or no?" Gray nudged me with his elbow.
"The blush he has on his face is reason enough to say he still does." Rogue said poking my cheek and I could only glare at him.
"So my tactic didn't work for you. That means you got it bad." Gray rubbed his neck.
"You have no idea." Rogue laughed.
"It worked for a while but it's just gotten worse." I admitted to Gray.
"Well do you still want it to go away?" He asked and I nodded. " Well there's only one way I could think of."
"And what's that?" I asked desperately.
"You have to distance yourself. If she's out of your life the feelings will go away." He explained and I could feel myself go pale. I couldn't do that to Lucy. We were practically best friends. After what she had told me yesterday I couldn't just leave her.
"Sorry but that's a no go. Is there another option?"
"That's all I got dude. If you find another solution tell me. You aren't the only person I am helping out. Sorry I wasn't as much of help." Gray sighed. I was going to ask who else had asked him for this stuff but kept my mouth shut.
"Oh look I found them!" Rogue pointed towards a group of people.
"Yup that's them. I could spot the pink headed freak anywhere." Gray affirmed. We made our way to them and found all the girls giving tearful goodbyes and hugs while the guys stood on the sidelines awkwardly.
" I'm going miss you guys so much." Levy hugged both Mirajane and Lisanna.
I found Lucy and asked, "Wait they are both leaving?"
"Well them and their brother."
"Their brother?!"
"Yeah, you never met Elfman?"
"Uh no. Is he as bad as Mira?"
"No but he talks a lot about being manly and all that stuff." She explained and I could only say oh.
"Why are they leaving again?" I asked. She never told me why on the phone.
"One of their relatives is really sick and they want them to come and visit so they are going to be there for a while. Lis never told me this until I had to find out through Loke today that she was leaving because someone never told me." She directed her anger towards Natsu who laughed nervously.
"I was so busy that I forgot."
"Yeah busy eating all my food!" She crossed her arms.
"Hey you said I could come over whenever I wanted to eat."
"Yeah but I didn't think you would eat everything!"
"That's your fault for not reading the fine print." Natsu smirked.
"Shouldn't you be saying bye to your girlfriend." I jumped in, getting tired of their bickering.
"Oh yeah!  Hey Lisanna..." He ran off to his girlfriend and left me and Lucy. I looked at Lucy and saw a pained expression.
"You okay Blondie?" I leaned nudged her with my elbow. She was startled but then returned to her composure.
" Oh yeah. I'm just going to miss her you know?" She shrugged glancing at the floor.
"Hey, she will  be back before you know it." I replied putting a comforting arm around her shoulder but that did little to ease her. She only gave me a small smile and my stomach did a back flip.
After getting many hugs and kisses from the group, Lisanna made her way to Lucy and I. She smiled at Lucy and ran to her.
"I'm going to miss you so much!" She jumped into Lucy's arms. "Promise me you will text me and call me everyday. I will send literally messenger pigeons to you!"
"I promise. But you have to promise me you come home as soon as you can." Lucy hugged her back.
"Can you also do me a favor? Can you make sure Natsu doesn't destroy anything and just take care of him. I know he can be a handful but I need someone to keep him under control."
"That's going to be hard. I can barely stop him from destroying my kitchen." Lucy giggled. They were still hugging each other and after a long pause Lucy let out a sigh.
"I'm going to miss you a lot, Lis." She hugged her tightly. Lisanna really did mean a lot to her.
"'Gonna miss you too. But I won't be gone for long. It's not like I'm leaving for forever." Lisanna laughed and let go of Lucy.
"Yeah you are right. But it doesn't mean I'm not gonna miss my partner in crime." Lucy hooked her arm around Lisanna and they both giggled.
"Lis, it's time to go! The train is  going to to leave in seven minutes and we still need to get our stuff!" I heard Mira call out to her. Thank god I'm not going to see that devil for a while.
"Alright I'm coming!"  Lisanna called back. "This is just goodbye for now." Lisanna said turning back to Lucy.
"You know I hate goodbyes."  Lucy confessed and Lisanna could only frown.
"I know but just for now. So bye Lucy." She gave one final hug and turned to walk away. I caught her eye and she glanced at me and gave me a nod. I didn't care that she didn't want to give me a hug because quite frankly I didn't want one from her. I happily would send her on train that would ensure her to never return.
The Strauss siblings were finally on their merry way, leaving the rest of us in their dust. Natsu tried following the train for a while but stopped after he got tired and ended up leaving. Gajeel got hungry and so  Levy and him left to go eat. Erza and Jellal took off to go look for some "delicious strawberry cake." So it was only Lucy, me , and Gray left standing.
"Come on Luce, stop looking so glum." Gray patted her on the head. "I know you two stick together like glue but it won't be that bad to be separated for while." Lucy could only sigh in response. Her little pout was so cute...oh my god I was becoming such a love sick idiot. It was starting to get harder being around her.
"Look how about I take you out for ice cream!" Gray threw up his hands.
"Gray we work at an ice cream shop. It stopped being a treat a long time ago."
"Fine what about some strawberry smoothies." He offered once again and Lucy took the offer.
"Sting you can join if you want." Gray directed his attention towards me. I was about to say yes but then a brilliant idea came to my head that would make Lucy so happy.
"Nah I'm good you guys go ahead." I waved my hand.
"You sure?" Lucy raised an eyebrow at me. She looked like she wanted me to go and it made my heart squeeze.
"Yeah I got some business to do. " I smiled. They both said goodbye and left.
"So what's this business you gotta attend to?" Rogue came up behind me and leaned against my shoulder.
"Don't you worry about it. I'll see you at the apartment later." I rustled his hair and he glared at me.
"No seriously what are you gonna do? I mean you turned down a date with your girlfriend so it has to be important."
"She's not my girlfriend." I grumbled.
"Whatever. So what is it?"
"I'll tell you later, bro." I snapped my fingers at him and winked.
"Don't do something stupid."
"Not making any promises." I laughed before I walked away.
-------

I was relaxing on Lucy's bed when I heard the door unlock. Her weird dog was on the floor and wouldn't stop staring at me. As long as he was down there he wouldn't be able to pee on me. I had been waiting for forever for Lucy to come home.
"Okay bye, Gray. See you later." I heard her say before she closed the door. She let out a long sigh and I saw her walk towards he couch.
"Sting get out of my room." She called out.
"How did you know I was here." I sprang out of her room in surprise.
"I don't know you just always seem to be here." She explained before plopping on her couch.
"P.S I really don't like your dog." I huffed and sat by her feet. "You feeling any better, Blondie?"
"Kind of. Strawberry smoothies can only do so much." She sighed again and frowned.
"Do you want to watch a movie or I could make us some food?" I offered.
"Nah..." She rolled over and planted her face into the couch. She looked pretty bummed out.
"Come on, Blondie. You shouldn't be moping around just because Lisanna is leaving. She wouldn't want that." I poked her side but she only grunted.
"Hey, I got something that will cheer you up!" I snapped my fingers. She shifted her face towards me and raises an eyebrow.
"Alright get up, Blondie." I sprang to my feet.
"How about no..." She pushed herself further into the couch cushions.
"Nope that's not working with me." I grabbed her by her feet and started dragging her to her room.
"Holy Crap! You are heavier than you look." I gasped and she glared at me.
That's the Lucy I love and know.
"What do you want, Sting?" She groaned as I threw her on top of her bed.
" I want to show you something but keep your eyes closed till I tell you to open them." I ran to her window and shut her curtains.
"Please don't do anything too inappropriate. This story has a PG-13 rating." I heard her groan from her bed.
"What? No! I want to show you something that I know you are going to love. "
"Tell me what it is." She begged. I ran to the lights and as soon as I turned them off I ran jumped onto the bed with Lucy.
"Okay now open them." I took her hand away from her eyes. Immediately he face lit up like the stars I put on her ceiling.
"Oh my god, Sting." She gasped.
"Look I know you are pretty sad about Lisanna leaving and what happened with your family so I wanted to cheer you up." She didn't say anything so I continued. "I did a lot of research and I even put them as constellations. Look there's Orion's Belt and-" Before I could even finish my sentence she hugged me.
"You are the greatest person in the entire universe. I don't even deserve you for a friend. How did you do this?" She motioned her hand towards the ceiling.
"Well after you left with Gray. I ran to the store and bought some glow in the dark stars. I figured it would make Lisanna's absence a little easier to bare. So I climbed up to your apartment and put them up. It took me a couple of hours but I finally got it all right. Gray was also in on it, he didn't know what I was doing exactly but I told him to keep you occupied."
"Stingy Bee you dork! I can't believe you did this for me!" She looked back at the ceiling in astonishment.
"Well you mean a lot to me, Blondie and so does your happiness." I said genuinely but I don't think she knew how honest that statement was. Lucy looked back at me with her big chocolate brown eyes.
"Thank you, Sting." She hugged me again. My heart started beating fast. This time there weren't any butterflies but it felt like a hand squeezing my heart and tugging it. My cheeks suddenly got warm but luckily the darkness was there to mask it. All I wanted to do was kiss her. I knew I couldn't but I wanted to so badly. Her face was so close and so tempting. For a second I lost all sense and leant in towards her lips but then suddenly, a white puff ball jumped in between us.
"Plue! I didn't know you were in here!" Lucy grabbed the rat for a dog and smiled. She didn't even realize that I had almost kissed her.
That was close. Two times in one day!
It was becoming more and more obvious that I had feelings for Lucy. That's when I realized I couldn't do this. I couldn't be around her anymore.
Gray was right. The only way I could get rid of these feelings was if Lucy wasn't in my life anymore.

--------
Ayyyyyyy! What up! I'm surprised so many people are still reading this. I'm so happy that this story wasn't completely forgotten.
Anyways comment what you think!
- Your idiot