Chapter Three

~Chapter Three~

Mom took me up the stairs and into my new room. The walls were dark gray and had black designs stenciled in random spots. There was a window seat on the far side of the room and my bed was set up on the wall adjacent to it. Across from my bed there was a door that led to my closet, the door was open and I could see some of my boxes labeled 'clothes' on the floor.

The floors were a nice cherry hardwood and I was very fond of the color. My desk sat next to my closet door and I moved over to the desk to straighten out some things on my desk top. I heard my mom leave to let me start unpacking.

I went into my closet and ripped open a box. I hung up all my clothes or stored them in drawers. When everything was done and in it's right place I skipped lightly out of my room and down the stairs.

Dad was in the living room moving furniture around as Mom directed. "Can I help with anything?" I asked them. Their heads whipped towards me in sync and Dad dropped the foot stool he was carrying. 

"Uh... No, no that's alright. We've got everything under control here, Cassie." Mom said.

"Yeah, honey. Why don't you run down the street to the supermarket and grab a gallon of chocolate milk. Brian said we were a little low..." Dad said, obviously trying to persuade me not to help. Drop one glass coffee table and nearly cut your little toe off with a shard of glass and they don't let you move anything in this family again. I mean jeesh it wasn't that bad. The bleeding stopped eventually!

"Fine!" I sighed, resolved to the fact that I couldn't help do anything. "I'll be right back."

Summer vacation was drawing to a close as fall crept upon us, but the air was still warm. Back home it was much cooler and I was getting too warm in my traveling clothes. I ran up stairs and changed into a pair of faded denim shorts and a plain loose fitting gray v-neck t-shirt. When I got back down stairs I slipped on my army green flip-flops, took the money Dad held out to me, and opened up the door.

As I walked down the street I marveled at everything around me. The leaves that were only tinged with the colors of fall, the small family businesses that littered the street corners, and the people bustling about. Everyone seemed to have a purpose and paid me no nevermind.

It was easy to find the supermarket that Dad was talking about. Supermarket was a generous word to describe it. It looked much like a glorified service station. Nonetheless I went inside and worked myself over to the industrial refrigerators. I grabbed a jug of chocolate milk and went up to the counter to pay.

A middle aged woman was working behind the counter. She chewed her gum loudly and looked me over with a bored expression as I approached her. I set the jug down on the counter and she zapped it with the little wand thing. "Is that everything?" I hated it when they asked that. Did she really expect me to say something like, "Can I get a carton of Marlboro's as well?" I'm sixteen not twenty-one of course that's everything!

"Yes, that's it."

"Your total is three forty-eight. Would you like a bag with that?" she asked as I slid her my five dollar bill and reached for my milk.

"No thanks..." She handed me my change which I pocketed and then I was out of there.

I started my way back home when out of no where a familiar black haired boy appeared beside me.

"What are you doing, Cassie?" Cam asked casually next to me, talking as if we were friends from way back and hadn't lost touch for ten years.

"Stopping at the store..." I answered, stepping a pace away so that our arms didn't quite rub against eachother's as we walked.

"Oh!" For the first time he noticed the gallon of chocolate milk in my hand. "Here let me get that for you." Without giving me a chance to comment he stole the jug from my hand.

"What are you doing, Cam?" I asked, stopping in the middle of the sidewalk. I cocked my hip to the side and rested my hand on my hip.

"I'm walking you home?" It came out as a question rather than a statement.

"I know that, but why?" I asked. None of this was making any sense. He was acting like we were best friends or something. I hadn't seen him for ten years and now he was walking me home? "How'd you know I was here in the first place?"

"I was out for a walk and I saw you?" he tried. There was no conviction in his voice so I knew he was lying.

"Stop lying, okay? I just want the ttuth? Are you stalking me?" I tried. He didn't say anything for a moment and I debated on running away from him.

Surreptitiously my eyes swept down his body and I knew that I wasn't going to be able to outrun him. I looked back up at him to see him smirking down at me. "Like what you see?"

Without answering I started walking again. We walked the rest of the way in silence. When we got to my house I turned to face Cam.

I reached for the jug of milk in his hand but he pulled it away at the last second. "What's the magic word?"

"Please," I said, just wanting to get my chocolate milk and go inside.

"Nope," Cam said, popping the p.

"Can I have a hint then?" I asked, his good mood slowly becoming infectious.

"Say you'll go out with me Friday night," Cam said, completely serious with a bit of hopefulness seeping into his voice.

I bit my lip. There was something undescribable about Cam that drew me to him. I mean what could what one date hurt, heck it wasn't even really a date, right? Right, it was just two old friends catching up.

"I'll go out with you Friday night." I said, "Now my milk?" I held my hand out expectantly.

He placed the handle in my hand. "I'll pick you up at seven." He gave me a wink then walked away.

A/N:

So... It's been awhile I know but there's nothing I can do to change the past so here's the next chapter. I hope you enjoy it. Give me some feedback and I'd love it.

~~Brisk