Chapter 2

This chapter's quote

This chapter's song:

Confident
by Demi Lovato

"What's wrong with being
What's wrong with being
What's wrong with being confident?
What's wrong with being confident?"

***

"Well, I was kind of forced to come here. I actually don't like it," confesses Annaleigha, much to Alanis' distress and confusion. "It's too plain, and, no offense, but people here are so moody."

"What do you mean with 'moody'? I can't understand," asks Alanis suspiciously.

Therefore, Annaleigha is forced to tell the blonde girl what happened with Alyzza. "I accidentally bumped on her and she started attacking me. Then, I told her why I am here and she became more sympathetic. She stated she isn't considered a beautiful girl, then I assured she is, but she somewhat got defensive..."

"Typical of hers," is Alanis' reply. "Alyzza often gets defensive towards new people, but, other than that, she is friendly."

"So, you are friends, right?"

"Obviously." Alanis bites her lips a little bit.

"May I ask you a question? Do you consider yourself beautiful?"

"What a silly question! Obviously yes. Otherwise I wouldn't be so awesome!" Annaleigha is pretty bothered at Alanis' last statement. She wishes she had shut up instead. But, then, Alanis laughs loud. "Hahaha. Only kidding. I haven't got a conceited diva-like attitude like someone." She stops talking, leaving Annaleigha confused. The word someone is so mysterious, meaningful, deep and... obscure.

"Ok, not to offend anyone, but I think everyone is nuts here."

"Hahaha!" Alanis' laughter is getting increasingly creepier.

"Ok, forget what I just said... it's me who has gone nuts..." says Annaleigha at last, pretty mortified.

"Don't worry. You needn't being picked on for just telling the truth."

"The... truth?" Annaleigha is quite confused, and, like with someone, the word truth also seems to hide something and to be pretty dangerous to deal with.

"Ok, you look a little confused," points out Alanis. "What the heck is going on with you?"

"It's that I..." Annaleigha is stuttering again. "I... I..."

***

Alyzza is walking as fast as she can. Paying attention to every single step she takes, and also trying hard to avoid any distractions, she starts humming a song while walking. When she has to cross the road, she stops by the traffic lights, which are red now, and therefore stops humming to start singing.

So, you say I'm complicated...

But, as soon as the light turns green, she stops singing and restarts walking. She is even more focused than before. She looks like she's going to look for something or, better say, someone.

'Where the fuck can I find her?' She is just saying that in her mind, so that nobody else can hear.

Though, the truth is she's no telepath and therefore there's no chance she can get to know instantly where her friend (or whatever she is supposed to be) is.

Suddenly, she sees her. The pretty blonde girl talking to the same girl who has bumped on her before. Alyzza feels guilty. She shouldn't have argued with the new one. She should have made an effort to be nicer to her. However, it's too late for regrets. She must move. She must ask the blonde girl for an explanation, right now.

So, she runs towards them, not even paying attention to the road. 'Geez, the traffic lights are turning fucking red!'

When she has finally reached them, surprise get the very best on Alanis and it is clearly shown through her face. "Hey," she says in fact, "what happened?"

Alyzza, pretty frantically, barely answers, "It's quite a long story..." but Alanis snaps back, "You have all the time to tell me. Don't worry."

"Hey, what's going on with all of you?" intervenes Annaleigha. "Maybe I was not that wrong to think everyone here is moody!" Her voice is raised, and, as of now, neither Alyzza nor Alanis have the faintest idea of how to react.

"Ok. Listen carefully, little new girl," replies Alyzza quite rudely, "I may look moody now, but this doesn't automatically mean I am always that moody. So, unless you want trouble with me, you'd better apologize."

"I am sorry..." mutters Annaleigha, but the other girl isn't convinced as she ask for sincere apologies. To be honest, Annaleigha would never consider a forced-like apology a sincere one. She would totally pass as fake.

"Alyzza, you're exaggerating!" points out Alanis. "First, her name is Annaleigha, not little new girl. Second, I totally understand that you argued with Allene, but, now, who cares? You can sort things out later. We are supposed to be helping Annaleigha now."

"Yeah, you are right," admits Alyzza. Then, turning to Annaleigha, "I am sorry, Anna... is it ok if I call you Anna? By the way I shouldn't have shouted at you, and-"

"That's fine," concludes Annaleigha. "You can call me Anna. And I accept your apologies. Anyway, are you ok? It seems as you and this Allene girl don't get on well at all..."

"Yeah, but I should be making up with her, not ranting here. Hear you later, Alanis." Alyzza makes the sign of the telephone before restarting walking back. "And see you soon, Anna."

"See you soon," is Annaleigha's reply. But, by the time she manages to wave her hand to bid goodbye, Alyzza is already gone. She and Alanis are left. Their silence is so embarrassing that they even end up blushing like children.

Or, at least until Alanis announces, "I should be going. My mom is waiting for me at the shop. See you soon, Anni."

'Anna? Anni? What the heck is going on with my name? Isn't Annaleigha appealing enough?' This is what the unaware "Anni" is asking herself. 'And how should I call Alanis? Maybe Lani? But would she like it?'

At last, Alanis leaves, as well. This means Annaleigha is alone. She must go back home and hope her mother is no longer mad at her, try to reconcile with her and maybe discuss of how good a giddy new start would be. And maybe how cool having new friends would be. Alanis and Alyzza seem nice people although they are a little nuts.

On her way back home, Annaleigha starts thinking of how her life was drifted apart after all the streak of negative events that led to her moving. But she also thinks she hasn't either told Alanis why she moved or asked her what the words 'someone' and 'truth' mean in that context yet. Though, after all, Alyzza may have told her, and, as of the two questions with no answer yet, there is still plenty of time for getting one, unless she is to move again.

But Annaleigha wants to make sure she won't be moving again. And her way back home is becoming much more interesting than before.

Continues on the next chapter