Prologue

San Agustin Church

Meng! Breathe in, breathe out! Wag kang kabahan!

Maine waited for this day to come. She was about to marry the man of her dreams, everything was all set and planned up to the littlest detail . She was waiting for her cue to go down the car and enter the church, when Ate Nikki opened the door of the car and sat down beside her.

Meng, galing ito sa kanya. Para daw sa iyo.

She took the letter from her sister. Nothing could have prepared her when she started reading its contents.

Meng,

Sana mapatawad mo pa rin ako pagkatapos nito. Ayokong man saktan ka pero me nagawa akong malaking kasalanan sa iyo...sa atin.

Maine can feel her whole world crumbling down. She couldn't breathe. Tears have blurred her vision. But the words continued to pierce through her heart.... causing more pain.

She's pregnant.

It's over.

Goodbye!

She screamed as she crumpled the letter in her hands. Nikki hugged her younger sister as she cried in her arms.

Ate, ndi na matutuloy ang kasal ko. Iniwan na nya ako. Gago sya!

Anu ba ang sabi nya sa sulat, Meng?

In between her sobs, Maine was able to tell her sister the content of the letter. Knowing her sister is not in the condition to face everyone inside the church, Nikki asked the driver to bring her sister back to the hotel.

Ako na ang bahala magsabi sa kanila, Meng. Babalikan ka naming sa hotel ha? Dun ka lang. We will get you through this. Nandito kami ng pamilya mo.

She kissed her sister on the forehead before heading back inside the church. Being the eldest in the brood of five, Nikki took the responsibility of explaining what just happened to everyone. Mommy Mary Ann and Coleen immediately left the church so they could follow Maine back in the hotel.

At the hotel

Upon reaching her hotel room, she changed into her sneakers and wore a jacket over her dress. Running away has always been her immediate response whenever she has a predicament she can't handle.

Leaving is her only option right now. And by the time her family got to the hotel, she was already gone with her luggage and plane ticket to Boracay.

At the airport lobby

While waiting for her flight, she got her phone and dialed her mother's number. Upon hearing her mother's worried voice, tears started to swell up again.

Anak, nasan ka ngayon? Bakit wala ka na nung dumating kami sa hotel?

Nay, nasa airport na po ako. Kailangan ko pong umalis kagad para magpag-isa. Lalayo po ako panandalian.

Nag-aalala ako sa maari mong gawin, Meng

Nay. Alam naman po ni Ate Nikki kung saang hotel ako nakabook. Tatawag po ako pagdating ko dun.

Nak, gusto mo ba sumunod kami dyan? Wag ka ng umalis, please?

Nay...sorry...babalik po ako agad.

Mommy Mary Anne knew her daughter couldn't be dissuaded to follow her request.

Mahal na mahal ka naming, Meng. Wag mo kalimutan yan ha? Mag-iingat ka.

Opo. Love you, Nay

Maine ended the call. In a few minutes, she will be heading off to a place where she was supposed to start and build more memories with the man she loves. Correction she loved. She cannot imagine someone who she loved for 5 years would be the reason for her pain and suffering right now. With one stupid mistake, he broke her heart and destroyed everything they had together.

Calling all passengers of PAL 327 bound for Caticlan. We are ready for boarding. Please proceed to Gate Number 5

Maine stood up from her seat and walked towards the gate, unmindful of the people who were queuing towards the same direction. Her mind was filled with the recent events that happened that morning.

Once she was settled inside the plane, it took a couple of minutes before she noticed the empty seat beside her. It was his seat. She thought. He should be right here sitting beside me. But he's not. Not now. Not ever. She closed her eyes, feeling the lightness as the plane soared up into the sky.

Somewhere across the aisle, he noticed Maine. He noticed the tears flowing down her cheeks as she slept. He quietly stood up from his seat and went over to her to wipe away her tears, careful not to wake her up. She stirred for a while, maybe feeling his gentle touch.

He went back to his seat. Somehow, he felt her sadness. The thought of his mother crossed his mind again. He remembered how it felt to lose someone you loved so dearly. He instinctively closed his eyes and bowed down his head. Please help her get through the pain she is going through.