Moving Along

Since talking with Niall about everything that's gone on, things have been much better. You're finally acting like friends again and you're careful not to let any romantic feelings get in the way of your job. Your job is to play dress up, hold Nialls' hand in public, and keep quiet. It's a job that you're not willing to give up. Not when you have rent to pay every month.

"Oh, look at this..." You say as you run your hand along the keys of a beautiful grand piano.

"Yeah. It's nice isn't it?" Niall chirps as he glides his hands across the keys softly behind you.

"I wish that I would have learned to play piano." You say as you look over your shoulder and smile at him.

"Why didn't you?" He asks as he sits on the bench.

"I don't know. I let a lot of things hold me back..." You say as you sit next to him.

Being with Niall in a casual setting like this was magical. It was so simple yet every word meant something. He was finally learning to talk more and worry less. He smiles more than he frowns and he's finally starting to remember what it's like to laugh. Just as long as you keep things moving along, everything is perfectly fine. You like it that way.

"Well, you're an amazing photographer. Just don't let anything or anyone hold you back from that..." He smiles as he presses a single key that sings lowly.

"How do you know that I'm an amazing photographer?" You ask with a raised eyebrow.

"I may or may not have looked through your portfolio when you were asleep this morning..." He says with a boyish smile and shrug.

"Niall!" You shriek slapping his shoulder.

"What!? You're amazing Kelly. You really should start getting paid to take photographs. If that's what you want to do..." He says as he nods and presses a few more keys.

You just nod and listen as he plays the keys. He's completely out of tune with the piano. He should definitely stick to strumming the guitar. You just smile and lean lightly against his shoulder, he laughs gently and shoves you back. As you sit back in your normal position, you hear a light tune from a piano streaming from a small distance away.

You slowly stand up and look around over the tops of the pianos searching for the sound. Your attention turns to the glossy white piano in the corner of the store being played by a girl about your age. You begin to walk towards her as she continues to play the same song. The song is light and raspy and romantic. It sounds like something that would be played at the end of a love story.

You stop in front of the piano and watch as the girls hands glide in and out of the keys. Her hands are small and gentle, perfect for playing the piano. She doesn't break her attention to look at you. In fact, you're not even sure if she's aware that anyone is watching at all. After about twenty more seconds, the music stops and the girl is smiling to herself. Leaving you standing in an awkward silence.

"Wow..." You whisper with a light smile.

The girl's head jerks up and her face turns from a bright smile to a look of concern.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't know that anyone was listening..." She whispers as she fidgets with her bag.

"Oh, no. Don't be sorry. That was beautiful..." You say with a nod of your head.

"Really?" She says in a small voice.

"Absolutely. How long have you been playing?" You ask as you scoot closer to her.

"About 8 years now." She says with a nervous nod.

"Oh, well you're amazing..." You say with a light laugh.

"Thank you." She says with another nervous nod.

"My name is Kelly. Kelly Mason." You say with your arm outstretched.

"Oh. Um, I'm Isis or Issy. Issy Severide." She says with a tight smile as she shakes your hand.

Her hands are ice cold and small. You notice that her dark brown hair is tightly tied in a curly ponytail that makes it's way halfway down her back. Her grey eyes are hidden behind thick rimmed glasses and she has little to no makeup on. His lips are thin and cracked and her smile looks worn out. She's a beautiful girl, but you can tell that she's not the girl that you would find at the mall after school.

"Nice to meet you Issy." You say as you turn back to see where Niall has gone.

Niall is still sitting at the piano doing something on his phone. He's always wrapped up in his phone. He always has to check the scores of his soccer games. It's an obsession of his.

"So, would you maybe like to come to lunch with me and my friend? Er, boyfriend..." You say quickly correcting yourself.

"Uh, I don't know..." She says with a shake of her head.

"Oh, come on! It would be fun. Besides, I don't want to be stuck with him all alone." You say with a laugh.

"I mean, I guess I could." She says as she lets out a sigh.

"Cool. Is pizza good?" You ask as you turn around to walk back to where Niall is sitting.

"Yeah. Pizza is fine." She says as she adjusts her bag and follows quickly behind you.

"Okay. Niall, let's go get pizza!" You say as you walk passed him.

"Pizza really? We just had that last night..." He groans as he gets up and puts his phone in his back pocket.

"Yes, really. Pizza is always good." You say as you get up to the front of the store.

"Wait, who is this?" Niall asks behind you, clearly referencing Issy.

"Oh, this is Issy. She's going to eat lunch with us." You say with a quick smile.

"Uh, Kelly. Can I talk to you? Alone?" Niall asks as he keeps his eyes set on Issy.

"What?" You ask as you just shrug towards him.

"Come here..." He says as he grabs you arm and drags you back into the store.

"Who is she?" He asks with a shrug.

"Just some girl who is playing the piano. She was alone so I figured that I would invite her." You say as you push your hair behind your ear.

"Oh, so do you just go inviting every lonely stranger to lunch?" He asks with an attitude.

"No? I was just trying to be nice..." You whisper with your eyes narrow.

"Kelly, you can't always be nice. There are always people who are going to just want to use you. It's not safe to be nice..." He whispers as he gets closer to you.

"Niall, stop being so dramatic. I mean, look at her, she's perfectly harmless." You say as you look back to Issy who has her arms wrapped tightly around her.

"Fine." Niall says with a sigh. "But if anything happens, it's not on me."

"Fine." You whisper as you walk off back towards Issy. "Ready for lunch?"

"Mhm..." She whispers with a small smile behind you.

"Good. So am I..." You say as you roll your eyes and look back towards Niall.

Vote - Comment - Etc