twelve: red

Chapter Twelve

Red

"Ooh! New cardigan?"

While making my way to Laura, I glance down at my outfit. Turns out I was wearing Tom's cardigan that I had never given back. I grinned, pulling Laura in for a hug, "Actually... It's Tom's. Didn't even realise I was wearing it, too!"

"Hey Avery..." Laura chuckled before sitting down at her table outside her favourite smoothie stall. It was a warm day, and what better day to spend it to 'people-watch' ms drink smoothies at the shopping plaza? "So! Inform me. What's been going on in the house of Hiddles?"

I stuck my tongue inbetween my teeth, trying not to laugh, "Well," I began, "Last night, we had a little 'indoor camping' trip. It was great fun. We made a tent, had sausages... cooked marshmallows..." I trailed off, last night still lingering in my mind. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't formed what happened into words. Usually I could slip things off the tongue but what happened last night seemed stuck in my throat.

Laura leaned closer, "And? What else? There's gotta be something more then that!"

"There was," I choked, struggling to free the words from my mind. I calmed myself down and tried to stop my head from racing at a hundred miles an hour, "Tom, uh... attempted sex." I waited for Laura to say something, anything... instead she just listened. I continued, "We kissed and it began to get pretty intense. I didn't know if I wanted for it to continue or not... so I stopped. I-I... It reminded me too much of William."

"Darling, everything is reminds you of William..." Laura said softly, trying her hardest not to hurt my feeling, "You've got to try and realise that William is here and there is nothing that you can do. That you are blessed with a beautiful, uh, half-husband and you share a wonderful son."

I nodded in response, listening to Laura as if she were God. She was my rock, my earth, everything that kept me grounded. Without her, I would have been long gone, "Jo has gotten much better too."

"Oh!" I cried, "That's great!"

"Yeah, the doctors said a few days ago that Phoebe was good to return back. But now that's she's back with her mum, I miss my poor niece already..." Laura murmured, trailing off.

I rid of the worries of everything that happened and nudged Laura, "So! Is there anything you would like to fill me in on?"

Laura blushed. And this wasn't just any blush; this was a guy-blush, "Actually... There's this guy..." Laura began.

I knew it. What did I tell you?

"...I met him at the day-care when I took Phoebe. His name is Drew and he has a son the same age as Phoebe. He's just so handsome and he asked me out on a date tonight! That's why I needed to call you ASAP so we can go shopping for date clothes!"

"Oh, Laura!" I remarked, throwing my hands up and cupping them over my mouth, "I'm so happy for you! What does he look like? What is he into? What does he-"

"Whoa, whoa whoa! Last time I checked, we weren't playing Twenty Questions!" Laura gushed, unable to contain her smile, "Ok... he has scruffy, dark-chocolate brown hair... curls even? Greenish-brownish eyes, pale complexion. Oh, Avery. He's just so perfect!"

My eyes widened, "This guy seems like he's quite the catch. So what are we doing lazing here! We've got to pick you an outfit, my friend!"

***

"What about... this one?"

Laura revealed herself from behind the curtain of the dressing stall and put on her best smile. She wore a red, vibrant, frilly shirt and your classic denim bootleg jeans. She topped it off nicely with black heels and her hair was brought up into the smallest ponytail messily. It looked near-to-perfect, yet it was missing a touch of something.