xxvi. DIG A LITTLE DEEPER

✢ ✢ ✢

There was a multitude of things that stressed Ella Foster out. Things such as her father nearly being ritually sacrificed, being blackmailed into almost killing her boyfriend, trying not to get murdered by a giant lizard . . . The list goes on. But for some reason, this might be the icing on the cake. Hell, this scared her more than being in a car that Malia was driving. That was truly saying something. 

She had a feeling that there may possibly be something more important than this. Well, with the whole Liam stealing Scott from class and all. She knew Liam wouldn't compromise Scott's education if it wasn't important, but there was something Foster just had to do. 

That, of course, involved her becoming a stalker. It was a new low - a low that she really, really wished she hadn't reached. But, Foster had rather bad social skills when it came to speaking to possible evil, supernatural entities and whatnot. She had almost died multiple times, she got a little nervous around foreign creatures. Especially when they were an apparent dorcham and were the embodiment of evil in the supernatural world.

Trust her, it was truly terrifying. 

She was sure that people were giving her odd looks by now, but she was sort of already used to that. Especially considering she skipped class half the time, had hostile conversations in the middle of English with Blake, and tried to find shrapnel bombers in the middle of school. Her life was very lively, that was for sure. 

Foster watched as Ivan made his way through the hallway, walking along with the masses of people going to class. Foster was thankfully done for the day - bless summer classes - and was able to dedicated her time to honing in on her inner sleuthing self. She felt that she had to be sly - who knew why, it was Foster - so he wouldn't notice her. She shouldn't be so worried, it was normal for people to talk to new kids. Hell, she met Stiles after he knocked over a damn vending machine. Going to talk to him shouldn't have been weird.

Yet here she was, hiding behind a sophomore, trying to keep out of Ivan's sight.

The boy glanced at her oddly, raising a brow. "Can I help you?"

He actually sounded genuinely concerned.

She grinned at him, musing, "Do you mind if I hide behind you for a brief moment?"

He seemed to contemplate it for a moment, finally shrugged. "Why not." Her grin widened. He continued to walk, Foster staying crouched down behind him. "Well, if we're going to be walking beside each other, I think it's only fair I know your name."

Foster, keeping her stare locked intently on Ivan's back, informed, "I'm Ella Foster." Recognition seemed to cross his face, the boy seeming shocked that he didn't recognize her beforehand. 

"Oh, you're friends with Liam and Mason," he mused, and Foster raised a brow. It would help if she knew who he was. "I'm Corey."

Foster nodded, the name not ringing a bell. It wasn't her job to keep track of underclassman unless they were Mason and Liam. She was too busy trying not to die, she could only take two young ones under her wing. She almost felt like a mother at this point. 

She clasped her hand over his shoulder, watching as Ivan exited the building and made his way to the courtyard. "It's been great getting to know you Corey, but we'll have to continued our conversation another day."

Corey simply shot her a kind smile, musing, "See you later."

She shot him a wave, nervously twiddling her fingers as she rushed outside. She caught the door as it shut, watching as the amber haired boy made his way toward the steps. He sat down on the top one, setting his back down beside him. She sat her all the time with her friends, and for a moment, she saw Ivan as just a normal boy. A normal boy tugging his AP Bio binder out and wanting to do homework.