Chapter ~ Five

CHAPTER FIVE PEEPS, OH MERG GLOBBERERERERS

>Jesse Lennings<

Where was that boy with my sandwich?! This math homework was making me irritated. Everything just looked like squiggles and it was so annoying. I used to be great at math. This should have been the easiest equation in the world, a worksheet I could have finished in five minutes.

            The tip of my pencil broke from the pressure I put on it as I thought of what could have been, would should have been.

            Damn it.

            I threw the textbook at the trashcan a few feet away from me. Unfortunately, it didn’t go it. “Stupid…math…fu–”

            “Hey, doing math? You don’t have the class today.”

            “I know. I have it tomorrow. This is my only chance today to get it done.”

            “Oh…you have work today?”

            “Not work…but stuff.” As strange as it would be for someone from this school to have a job, I did. I volunteered at this small organization, which I have to admit, I loved only slightly less than when I was painting. I didn’t really get paid much since I did it more as volunteer. Unfortunately I had to work at the ice cream place downtown. The uniform. Is stupid. I mean, seriously, who would WANT to wear neon orange aprons and ice cream on your head? But since I was refusing to take money from home and was on my own for hopefully only nine more months, rent and cost for supplies is all coming from my pockets.

            Plus, Toby took the money I was going to use to buy a large canvas. So I need to work overtime to earn it back. Fucker. Today I was going to my volunteer-ish job. Ice cream will wait till tomorrow. Yay for Fridays.

            I reached for my textbook as Cyrus offered me my food, I began indulging in the two sandwiches, milk carton, and apple Cyrus had come back with. Took him long enough!

            “I ran into Toby in the caf…”

            I looked at him wide eyed. “Please don’t tell me you picked a fight.”

            He scrunched his nose. “Couldn’t. This stupid teacher got in my way.”

            “Detention?”

            “Nope! Toby got one though.”

            “Surprise surprise.” I mumbled.  

            “Jess, why don’t you just go back to your home and ask them for help?”

            “Are you kidding me!” Some food sprayed on him and he groaned. “You know I can’t.”