Chapter Three: Scars, stuffed animals and awkward feelings

Sirens, they came from everywhere, they frightened me. I stirred in the couch trying to block out the sound and sleep some more. a warm hand touched my forehead and my eyes shot open.

“Kyle…” I grunted. I had been scared for a moment, the sirens almost always had that effect on me, bad memories.

“Good morning, your mother called and said she had to leave early so I’m here to make you breakfast.” He smiled the huge smile and I couldn’t help but smile back.

“I could’ve done that myself.” I said and I tried to stand but it hurt so much I had to sit back down. Kyle looked at me worried and triumphantly at the same time, wish was a hilarious combination.

“You couldn’t.” He said and disappeared towards the kitchen. I sighed and lied myself back down under the warm comforters. A while later he returned with toast, two glasses of milk and sunny side up eggs. We both ate our breakfast in silence and I glanced at Kyle a few times, he seemed nervous for some reason.

“What’s wrong?” I asked as I swallowed my toast.

“Well… never mind.” He said.

“Talk.” I said forcibly.

“It’s something my mom said this morning, before I left.” He said.

“What did she say?” I was curious, what could his mother have said that made him this nervous?

“She… She said that, I should help you bathe and stuff.” He said and looked away. What was his mother? STD fan or something? Shouldn’t parents tell us not to do anything like that?

“Is she nuts?” I asked him. he sighed relieve or something else? I couldn’t tell. Damn this guy was hard to read.

“Sometimes,” he said with a smile.

“Don’t worry about those things, the bathroom is downstairs so my mom helps me with that type of stuff.” I told him. he looked lost for a moment before he picked up another piece of toast and gulfed it down.

I heard the sirens again.

“Is there something going on?” I asked, I wondered why there were so many sirens, the nearest town was three miles away and only a few people lived this way, why were there sirens out here?

“They are hunting the wolf.” He said with a cold expression.

“What? Why?” I asked shocked, I was still alive and to be honest it was my fault I was hurt… I kind of liked the wolf.

“Because he tried to rip your leg of, Jenn.” He said with a cold expression that didn’t suit him. I forgot about my pain for a moment and got of the couch.

“That was my fault!” I yelled. I didn’t want the wolf to die.

“Don’t worry they won’t find it, at least not right now.” He said, his expression hard, he forced a smile.

“How do you know?” I asked him.

“More milk?” he asked while picking up my half full glass and taking it to the kitchen. I limped to the kitchen still ignoring the pain.

“How do you know?” I asked in a colder tone.

“I just know.” He almost yelled. “Why are you so concerned anyway?” He asked, his expression hurt and confused.

“I’m not.” I lied.

“Don’t you dare lie to me.” He said and took a step towards me that made me take a step back, putting pressure on my bad leg, it wasn’t after even a second when my leg gave out from under me and I started falling. With the speed of light I felt arms engulf me and save me from a pain full fall.