Forever (Steve Rogers)

**Edited and Revised on 01/26/21**

Prompt: Steve imagine where we get into a fight about something and (Y/N) storms out and something happens to her

I sighed in frustration. I didn't know why Steve wouldn't just sign the document. Sure, it was constricting, but at the end of the day, it was for the good of the people. Sacrifice is part of our jobs; of our lives. Personal freedoms go out the window when you pledge your own life to keep people safe.  And if these limitations were what it took to keep people safe, then I was prepared to sign. I was willing to sacrifice even more than I already had for the people of earth. I also couldn't help but think that this issue was hardly worth going to war over. But for the life of him, Steve didn't share the same beliefs, and he refused to move in his. I had begged and pleaded with him but to no avail. "Steve you know if you don't sign this, you'll go to war with Tony. With some of your closest friends. And I can't watch you fight another one of your friends Steve... Just think about this please!" I said as I once again begged him to reconsider. He wasn't having any of it though. "(y/n), I love you and I see your point, but I can't sign that. If I do what happens to freedom? To everything I stand for, to what the Avengers stand for (y/n)?" I could see the fire reflected in his eyes as his voice rose to match his temper. I rested my arm on his bicep in an attempt to calm him. "Sacrifice is part of our job Steve. I would sacrifice my work freedom in an instant in order for those people to be safe. You can't say we haven't made a mess Steve. Lots of innocent people have gotten hurt, and we need to regroup to figure out how to atone for that. This gives us an opportunity. A start-" I said gently, begging him to see reason. 

I hoped that I was getting through to the sensible man I knew was in there somewhere. But when I looked into his brilliant blue eyes I didn't see any trace of the sensible and caring man I knew. It had been replaced with rage and cold determination. And as I knew from experience, once Steve had his mind made up there was nothing anybody could do to deter him. "Steve. We have done many great things. Helped a lot of people. That I can not deny. But you can not deny that we have hurt a lot of people too." I whispered the last part of my sentence, my time in Sokovia, the memories sending shivers down my spine. You could say dropping a floating city on people had an effect on your mental state. "THOSE THINGS WERE NOT OUT FAULT. LOKI, ULTRON, THEY HAD TO BE STOPPED!" He roared. Never in the years, I had known him, had I ever heard Steve speak like that, never had I heard him raise his voice. I swallowed, ignoring the lump in my throat. "Steve people died. Senseless and terrible deaths, you-" but I never got to finish that thought as I was abruptly cut off. "I won't sign that act (y/n), you're choosing the wrong side of this war." he roared. 

 I signed."This doesn't have to be a war, Steve! That's my point!" I  said. I was yelling now as my emotions heightened. I had never seen Steve Rogers look at someone with such dislike. "Your so blind (y/n), it disgusts me." He sneered. I was taken aback. Never, even in our worst of fights had Steve had the audacity to speak to me like that. "Just think about what's right here Steve please!" I begged as stray tears slipped from my eyes and made their way down my flushed cheeks. Steve's features were hard set as he glared at me. I had never seen him look so cold. This wasn't him. It couldn't be. "YOU WANT ME TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT?" His voice thundered through the walls of the empty complex. "Please," I whispered looking up at him with hope and love reflected in my eyes. I watched as he clenched his jaw. "Get out." He managed to say in a monotone voice that showed no emotion. No hurt, no regret, nothing. My hand flew to my chest as my breathing became labored and everything around me began to spin. "Steve-" But nothing else came to mind. I couldn't think. Nothing came to mind except the repeated thought that I was losing the only man I had ever truly loved in my entire life. I was losing him.

One stray tear slipped out after another as I processed what was happening. And when it finally hit me, the tears didn't stop. I opened my mouth to try and ask him, to convince him, but nothing came out. When he noted I hadn't left, I noticed nothing but anger in his eyes. "You wanted the right thing? There you go. We're done. Get out." He demanded. I leaned on the wall for support as I tried to support my weakening body. "NOW!" He thundered as he turned around and walked away without a second glance in my direction. And with floods of tears streaking my face I turned and walked out of the complex and into the street, planning on going home where I would be met with Netflix, warm blankets, and a comforting hot drink. But when I opened the door to my house, I was met with a blindfold being tied around my eyes and the sound of a switchblade opening as the cool metal of the blade met my neck. I swallowed, feeling the blade pressing into my throat, ready to drain me of my life at a moment's notice. And then the sound of a foreign voice speaking as he sat me down and tied me to my office chair. "You're going to tell me everything you know about Steve Rogers and the Avengers,"  he growled. I spat in his face.