Chapter 1

I hold the plane ticket in my hand. My grandmother drove me here. Now she waits in the seats, smiling at me and waving. I smile back, mouthing "I love you" to her. We're on the other side of the airport. The side that isn't destroyed. I start to walk towards the safety tests.

"Scarf please." The man says in a gruff voice. This was my mother's scarf. The only thing that I had to remember her. I took it off anyways. I stared him down the whole time while the other safety tests ran. Once they were done, I confronted the man.

"May I have my scarf back?" I asked.

"After I check for grenades." He said blankly. These days, it's not uncommon for people to have a bomb or two in weird places.

"You're clear." He says, handing back the scarf.

"Thank you." I say, walking away. I blow a kiss to my grandmother, then walk down the tunnel leading to the plane. I step in, and take my seat towards the wing. I reserved the window seat. I started to wonder who would sit by me. It would be a long flight. I perked up when a boy, no, a man, walked in. He was muscular, and was about six feet, and three inches. Nothing compare to my short height. I couldn't stop staring.

Don't think like that stupid. That girl behind him is probably his girlfriend.

He keeps walking, one hand in his pocket, the other hand holding his luggage. He opens the latch directly above my seat, and puts his suitcase in it. He never shares a glance at the girl. I force myself to look away from the entrancing ripple of his triceps as he works. I put on my skull-candy headphones and listen to my songs. As I watch the plane take off, I sigh, and realize he's sitting next to me. He looks straight at me, with gorgeous hazel eyes that seem to glow golden. He smiles.

"Hello, what's your name?" He asks.

"I... Uh... Aspen." I say.

"Aspen," He says, rolling his tongue, "I like it."

I blush and lay back my head. I hope he didn't see it.

"You know, you have really cool eyes." He says, "They look like water ripples."

I could feel myself blush hard. I could feel the heat even in my ears. I take off my headphones and stare at him.

"Are you flirting with me?" I ask.

"Well I... No." He says hiding a grin.

"Well what's your name?" I ask.

"Chase. But you can call me Wolfe. Thats what everyone calls me." He says.

I smile. Then the sudden feeling of exhaustion hit me, and I yawned.

"You tired?" He asks.

"Yes but why do you care?" I question.

"Well you could lay your head on my shoulder." He says.

That struck me by surprise. I look at him confused.

"Sorry. I'm just lonely... My boyfriend just left me... Well I mean, you're not like that... Wait, are you... No, just... I'm sorry I'll stop talking." He says, almost depressed. He turns the other way, refusing to make eye contact.

I look at him. I decide that I like him. I gently press my head on his shoulder, and catch him by surprise. I can feel him staring at me. He hesitantly, but gently, starts to twirl my hair. I grin, and fall asleep.

____________________________________________________________________________________

I wake up when the plane takes a dip. I look out my window. It's dusk. Looks like I'll be up all night.

"Good evening, sleepy head." He says, smiling.

"Good... evening?" I say, chuckling.

"So tell me Aspen, do you believe in love at first sight?" He asks. Geez, I think he's crushing hard on me.

"Depends." I say, smiling, wrapping my arms around his bicep, "Why do you ask?"

"Because." He says, reaching for my hand. He grabs it, and I consider this. Then I twine my fingers around his.

"This happened too fast." I say.

"I'm sorry. You looked so cute." He says, almost ashamed.

"No, it's okay." I say, "I liked you too."

"Is that why you were staring at me?" He questions, smirking evilly. I blush.

"Yes." I say, and look out the window again. As we get closer I start to see the dim glow of the city. I let go of his hand. I press closer to the window, realizing that they weren't city lights. They were bomber plane lights. 

"Wolfe..." I say, the planes approaching.

"Yes?" He asks. As the planes gets closer, I see the French flag, painted on the sides of one of them. They're escorts. But if these planes are escorts, that means...

"EVERYBODY GET DOWN!!!" The Co-Pilot screams, coming out of the cockpit. Paris was being bombed. We heard gunshots outside the plane. Our escorts were shooting the planes that dare passed by. I peeked through the window. One of our French Escorts went down. I looked at the plane that shot it down. There I saw a big yellow star, with five other stars surrounding it. It was China that was  attacking. Wolfe pulled me back down again.

"You've got to stay low." He says, a look of worry on his hazel eyes. I nuzzle a bit closer to him, closing my eyes. He holds me secure with one arm. I can feel his muscles tensing. The gunshots continue, and finally stop. A voice hacks into the plane's intercom system.

"Toi sont sur terrain." The voice says. We're safe to land. I feel the plane bump the ground, but the assistants keep telling us to still stay low.