| 09. A FORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE

BOOK TWO
CHAPTER NINE

( A FORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE )

A SHARP SURGE OF PAIN numbed my head as I hit the side of it against the floor. I reached up to my eyes to lure myself out of sleep. Ugh, what even happened? Peering down to the rest of my body, I noticed that I was still in the same clothes from the day before, this time stuck to my skin with sweat. It must have been that dream - though it didn't feel like a dream. It felt like I was reliving a nightmare; that type of nightmare that never feels like a nightmare, but you know it is - because you hate it.

I attempted to reach up from my uncomfortable position on the ground, stretching myself out as my muscles tensed. It became difficult to reach up with the tightly stitched scar on my left side, but somehow I had managed to lift myself up above the bedside table. Breathing heavily from the torment, I leant forward onto it, slouching against the wooden surface. The scratching of it felt like it was giving me splinters all over my face.

Quickly turning away, this time I faced the window. Condensation wrapped around it as a blanket would to a chair, encasing the outside world from my view. I truly couldn't see a thing.

My feet paced over to the door as my stomach gurgled with hunger. I didn't know what time it was, however the mist outside my room was shady, therefore I suspected it to be some time after midnight. Despite the real clock being nowhere near, my body clock called for food and I opened the metallic frame before me.

As I pivoted into the next room, voices bounced off of the surrounding walls through the corridor. By what I could hear, Corey and Bradley stood opposite one and other, pacing with the stamp of their footsteps.

"What do you propose then?" I heard Bradley scoff as I moved further forward towards the sound.

"Something other than your idiotic idea."

"Listen," he exchanged sternly once they had both come into view, "The only reason I'm here and not Mabel is because I have to work. Even though I'm not entering the Arena, I promise you I will be working my socks off to keep everything I can correct; to keep every event on schedule; to be precisely on time. If you're not going to do the same, I suggest you not participate."

Corey rolled his eyes, hitting his hands on the table in front of him whilst he said, "Bradley, I'd watch where you step. Y'know, I am four years older than you."

"Age doesn't represent authority."

"In this situation it does," Corey exclaimed, throwing one of his hands above his head in rage. "And if we're going to continue to protect Silver and Katniss, which you wanted to initially do for both of them. Someone is going to have to take the lead who won't jeopardise the plan."