Through broken eyes.

A/N; This is just a small piece that I have written for a magazine competition. It had to be three hundred words or less (so hard to do!) on the topic of 'Through my eyes.' This is actually based off real life, as I recently returned to school after being off for two months, having to go back in a wheelchair. This is more or less what happened on my first day, and I wanted to share it. Enjoy, and please let me know what you think. Votes and comments greatlly appreciated as always if you have the time. :3

Through broken eyes.

A shudder of fear runs down my spine, as the taxi finally pulls up. The school that once held happy memories looms down at me, so intimidating. All too soon my door is opened, the wheelchair out of the boot. I’m pushed away, like a package to be delivered. The halls are strangely unfamiliar; I haven’t been here in months.

I struggle through my first lessons, ignored by most. A few question me, but they don’t understand. Nobody understands, not now. Break time comes around and nerves wash over me. How will they react? What will she say? As I’m wheeled along, I bite my lip. The chatting, the laughing. The gossiping, the joking. It’s like I’m not there. The pointing, the staring. The whispers that follow me wherever I go. That’s what I’m a part of.

We finally push past it all and I’m taken outside. Nobody’s here yet; the teacher’s about to leave. Again I’m asked if I’m okay.

“Yes,” I reply, but inside I’m screaming no.

I am alone.

And then I see them, my group of friends. I grin nervously; they walk straight past me, like I’m nothing. There they stand, huddled in a corner. Lara, my ex-best friend looks over, a malicious glint in her eye. This is her work. She turned them all against me while I was in hospital--rejected me for no reason at all. Nothing, except I can’t walk.

As I sit there, I try hard not to cry. Why can’t they see life through my eyes? But then I realize. They’re not worth it.

 I take my brakes off, and wheel myself away. I’m a free woman--I have some independence! If they can’t accept me for who I am, they aren’t worth it.

They aren’t worth it at all.