Chapter Twenty - I Choose You

"You've made the right decision Amber." Victoria smiled. "I won't lie, we'll all miss you. But the experience you'll get from this will be beyond anything I can teach you in a classroom."

"Don't sell yourself short, this class... Is amazing. Which is why I intend to come back when my year in the company is up. Even if they offer me another placement." I smiled.

Victoria grinned and held out her hand, but I pulled her in for a hug instead.

"Thank you for everything."

I walked out of the empty studio, Today had been brutal goodbye wise. First I'd had to say goodbye to my classmates, then the school, and now Victoria. It felt like everything was changing. Tomorrow I wouldn't make my way to NYAPA. Instead I'd get on the subway and head in the opposite direction until I got to the NY dance company.

I'd be the new kid, in a room full of people with more experience and knowledge and the thought frightened the living shit out of me, considering what high school had been like.

I didn't have time to dwell much longer, because Jackson was already waiting for me just outside the dance studio doors. His smile put my mind at ease while simultaneously warming my heart.

"Hey baby." He said holding his hand out to me. "Ready to go home?"

I nodded as I slid my hand into his. He had spent his day rearranging his classes in order to return and learn to teach the art he loved so dearly, while I'd spent my day arranging to leave.

Deep down I guess a part of me was still afraid that history would repeat again, that we'd grow distant and become like passing ships in the night. I couldn't bear the thought of losing him again.

"Deep in thought." He whispered. "Tell me what you're thinking."

I stopped in the middle of the courtyard and watched him intently. He had always been clued in to me, he could always sense when something was wrong even if he couldn't put his finger on the exact cause.

"What if we never see each other. What if our schedules conflict with one another." I mumbled.

"We'll make it work." He replied, placing his arms on my shoulders. "I won't lose you again Amber, not to music, not to dance, not to anything."

"You promise?"

"I promise. You know, change is always inevitable, things can't stay the same forever. This is just a change in our lives and then one day they'll be another and another." Jackson leaned down and pressed his lips to my head. "But we can face anything if we face it together."

I smiled and molded myself into his chest, he folded his arms around me and pulled me into a tight embrace.

"Let's go home." I said softly.

We made our way to Jackson's car, I looked back at the school before I hopped in and regarded it with a bittersweet melancholy. I was happy for the opportunity I had been given, but NYAPA had been amazing and ultimately I was sad to be leaving.

When we made it back to the apartment Daniel was home, pacing the floor with his cellphone to his ear.

"Yeah okay, but you have to understand, I'm supposed to finish college and work for my grandparents back home." He exclaimed, he looked over at us, looking stressed out which wasn't an emotion Daniel normally exhibited.

"Look, I told you I'd think about it. I'm still thinking." He replied after a short silence on his end.

There was more silence and he rolled his eyes, before lifting his hand, exasperated at whomever was on the other end of the line.