Heartstrings-1

Hey everyone....this is not a poem but a sweet short story... Hope you too like it and do comment and vote....
~lots of love and stay happy~
~Yesha~
...............................................................................................................................
I saw the ring today after all these years. I hadn't seen it in ages. My heart skipped a beat as a crescendo of emotions washed over it, leaving me short of breath even as the world around me continued to function uninterrupted. I could hear a familiar tune playing in my head once more - a song I hadn't heard in years. Slowly, as I stared at the gold ring, the present crumbled and the past peeked through.
~~~~~
'In whose name shall I bill it?' The jeweller asked, his eyes never leaving the computer screen.
'Mine....I mean, Roshan.' Try as I might, I could not take my eyes off the ring. It held no sparkling diamonds, rubies or intertwined swans. To anyone else, it was probably your run- of- the- mill gold ring. But for me, it represented feelings I'd held in my heart for too long. Involuntarily, a smile passed my lips again as I saw the two letters carved in gold: 'M.R'.
M. Megha Balakrishnan. What can I tell you about her? We'd known each other for years. It had all started innocuously enough with being stuck in the same medical course. My first impression of her was that she was just another snooty NRI brat. She ,in turn, had found me standoffish. In time, we both understood how wrong we were. Being assigned as each other's lab partners would prove to be the ice- breaker- we realised how alike we actually were. Our initial aloofness had been nothing more than a common inability to make friends easily. The truth was, we were both naughty as mice with a wicked sense of humour. Perhaps that, more than anything else, strengthened our friendship.
As the years passed by and life threw various hurdles our ways , we learnt to watch out for each other. We became the best of friends.
When did I fall in love? I don't know. It's hard to define the exact moment, really. Sometimes you just realise that the person you've been walking beside all these years suddenly looks different- her natural charm is enhanced by the radiance of her personality. You find yourself missing her jokes, her laughter, her smile and her voice- even if you have just spent the day with her. You see yourselves growing old together. And it feels just right. I guess it was with me too.
The recent exams had been the last. And while we'd gone our separate ways for the holidays, we would be returning to the college for our one year internship together soon. We had kept in touch with phone sporadically over the month, but it just wasn't the same.
As luck would have it,we both ended up clearing the exams. In fact, she topped the batch in two subjects. I was amongst the top five. As part of our celebrations, we decided to have an afternoon out ourselves the Sunday after we joined back. Just me and her....and a heart dying to reveal itself.
Sunday:
Everything had gone great until now. A great movie and usual post- movie shopping ritual. After two hours of trekking the length and breadth of the mall, seeking my opinion on everything she tried on, we now sat at what we had once labelled our own personal ancestral home-the familiar coffee shop. I watched her as she leaned forward, her fork dipping into my Chocolate Fantasy cake, even as her eyes stayed on me.
"Megha?" I ventured.
"Hmm."
"I need to tell you something important."
She stared at me for a moment."Actually there's something I need to tell you too."
"Sure you go first."
She stopped chewing as she pondered her words carefully.
"This last month after exams, being at home, away from....well, it made me realise something. I guess....Damn, I don't know what to say!"
"It's me, Meg. You can say anything you want."
"That's just it Rosh. Sometimes it's so difficult to say these things to people who matter the most. Rosh..... Do you believe that you can spend your whole lifetime being with a guy and then suddenly, one morning, everything is different? Suddenly....you want to be with him more and more. You miss him when he leaves, you wait to hear from him again. You know?"
I nodded, my heart beating wildly within.
"This past month being away.....something changed for me Rosh. The feeling was probably there for a while, but I guess I didn't wanna think about it while we were still students. I don't know how you will take it or how it will affect you, but I need to tell you. In fact I have been wanting to tell you ever since we were back. I didn't want to do this over phone. I just wanted to tell you face- to -face."
..............................................................................................................................
Hey how's it? It's not over yet i will continue in the next part..
What do you Megha will tell Roshan?
Keep voting and commenting...
~lots of love and stay happy~
~yesha~