Chapter 16

When the lads heard that I had to go, they insisted on asking where I was going and to come with me. It was rather overwhelming, with their faces full of determination and worry; even Ashton's.

Except that I turned them down. This was something that I had to face on my own. Besides, they would be riding tomorrow to Mexico for VIVA5SOS. Who knows what time I might come back? San Francisco is more than five-hour drive.

"You should at least use the car." Michael suggested, tossing the car keys at me. "You'll reach San Francisco faster than on a bus."

"Thanks, Mikey." I smiled.

"Here," I was surprised when Calum handed me a small bag. "We packed you food, water, and coffee."

I can feel my face warm with overwhelm. They were too good. I can never be thankful enough.

"Thanks, mate." I mumbled.

There was a patient silence between us five. It was only when Ashton coughed and looked around that reminded me about the time that was running.

"I should go. See you, guys." I immediately jumped in the car and started it just before I waved goodbye.

"Drive safely, Reev." Michael called.

I was about to answer when I heard the hesitant voice of Ashton. "Watch the road."

My voice got stuck on my throat. Why are we like this? Taking a deep breath, I punched the horn lightly, cuing them that I'm going.

In a matter of minutes, I was already in the freeway. I was pushing the car to the speed limit allowed. I wanted to reach San Francisco fast. I wanted to speed up but I couldn't afford to break the laws now.

The windows were down so I can feel the night breeze running through my hair. LA was big and never asleep; I was thankful of the latter. The lights and other cars are enough to distract me from snoozing. Thank God I had a goodnight sleep last night.

My phone suddenly vibrated from my pocket, indicating a text. I pulled it out and saw that it was from Calum.

From: Cal

Tank is almost empty. Money in the bag. Be careful.

It was short and straight to the point. Probably because he knew I shouldn't be texting while driving. I tossed my phone lightly on the passenger seat and started to look for a servo. I passed one earlier but that was before I saw Calum's text and the gas meter. It took me more than twenty minutes to find another one. The tank was almost drained.

I pulled towards the servo and turned the ignition off. Reaching for the bag that Calum handed me earlier, I found five bottles of cold water, three bottles of Starbucks coffee, and five peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches; the crusts were removed. I could only think of Ashton. He was the only one who knows that I hate bread crusts as I never ate PB&J sandwiches with them before. Man, how could he be so considerate when we weren't supposed to be talking?

I found the money Calum texted about on the side pocket. It was four 20$ which makes up a total of 80$. They all probably chipped in and threw twenties each. That was more than enough for a full tank. God, what did I do to deserve the kindness of these boys?

Pocketing the money, I stepped out of the car and started working on filling up the tank. It filled up fast so I went and paid for it.

I almost got a heart attack when I returned to the car and found Luke casually sitting in the driver's seat. Confusion went ahead and started running through my brain. What was he doing here? And how the hell did he manage to come here? I've been driving for almost an hour already.