Thirteen

The beginning of the week was slow and uncomfortable, our group sat as one, like always —  but it wasn't the same as before. We'd sit in different seats to normal, in an attempt to avoid the people we loved most in the world. On the Monday and Tuesday, someone would try to make conversation, but it was awkward and nobody really knew what to say, so by Wednesday, we sat in silence. Colton and Ella hadn't spoken, nor had Ella and I. I suppose it probably would have been easier to list the people I was still on speaking terms with, and that was Flo. But even she was too busy with Parker to realise, either that, or she didn't want get involved. My guess was a mix of the two. All of us were far too proud to show the world just how bad things really were.

Miles and I made eye contact so many times I lost count, and our sad eyes mirrored each others. I missed his friendship. I missed all of their friendships, but right now, we all needed our time and our space and despite the fact we were spending our lunch periods together, that was what we were getting.

It was Ella that I missed the most. She'd been my best friend for eleven years, and this was the first time we had ever had a fight this bad. I tried to speak to her a few times, but she just turned on her heel every time, pretending she hadn't heard me. And by Thursday evening, I was completely defeated. 

I stared at the collage I had on my wall. Ella had made it for my sixteenth birthday, and the amount of memories and time involved had made my heart swell. What had I done to deserve her? And now, it all hurt. I couldn't believe this was all truly happening to me. How on earth had my whole life fallen apart in the space of three months? No dad, no brother, no best friends. I'd lost it all. I'd even tried texting Brodie a few times; the first apologising, the second asking if we could meet up again. But my phone had been silent. I'd even deleted the stupid app, kicking myself for ever downloading it in the first place. But it didn't seem to make anything better, the damage had been done and only time would heal. Or at least I hoped that was the case. 

          My mom had the Friday off work, and I decided that school was not a place I wanted to be. Nobody would have missed me whether I turned up or not. As the Grandfather Clock in the hall chimed to say it was midday, I climbed into my comfiest pyjamas before trudging myself to my moms room across the house. I sighed, still finding it hard to believe it was just the two of us. 

Mom had returned home the Sunday night, but I had refused to leave my room and I'd barely spoken to her since — despite all of her efforts. I climbed into bed beside her, where she was watching The Fault In Our Stars. I nodded in approval and agreement, it was a crying day. She wrapped her arm around me and I leant my head on her shoulder, focusing on the film in front of me.

"What happened this weekend, sweetheart?" I looked up at her, her dark hair was wavy, with her fringe braided back to keep it out of her way; and for someone who had no where to be, she looked stunning. 

"Boy issues, girl issues, just issues." I responded, giving a half-hearted smile as I watched Hazel and Gus bump into each other for the first time. "Too bad you don't just accidentally bump into someone and they're the one, right, mom?" She nodded and laughed slightly, kind of awkwardly, before brushing off the comment.

Mental note to ask her about that later, check.

I took a deep breath, "I thought me and Miles would have worked, you know?" My mom looked at me in shock, probably at the fact I'd finally admitted it to myself. Of course everyone else had known. I picked off a square of the bar of chocolate sat in front of her before shoving it into my mouth. "I guess it wasn't the right time. But it gets better!" My mom raised her eyebrow in question and pretended to get excited about the news that was to come, "I met someone, and he's amazing, mom. But he now won't speak to me because Ella doesn't like him and kicked off and Miles told him to be nice and it's all a mess and now Ella hates me and won't tell me whats going on and her and Colton fought and well, its all a mess." I placed my head back against the headboard, staring past the TV to the blank wall. My mom gave me a gentle squeeze before passing the chocolate over to me, 

"Sounds like you need this more than I do," She smiled sympathetically, "I can't tell you that this new boy will come around and start talking to you again, I'm sure it was quite a shock to have your friends jump down his throat — but I would like to hear more about him at a later date. But I do know that Ella will definitely come around and you'll sort things out, you've been best friends for far too long to throw it away over something silly. And not even that; I know Ella, and most of all I know you." She tilted my chin to look at her, "you two will get through this. And if she's having a tough time, she probably needs you. You're both far too stubborn for your own good. Have you attempted to phone or text her?" I shook my head, a firm no. "Then do that, she needs you and you need her. And if this boy is worth it, he'll come back." My mom stood, letting me properly see her outfit. She really did look stunning, 

"What's going on, mom? Why are you dressed up?" Her red dress was just below her knees and her hair and makeup were done to perfection. 

"It's Angie and Danny's wedding," Angie and Danny had been my moms friends since she got with my dad when they were fourteen — both couples got together at roughly the same time, and after twenty-two years, they were finally tying the knot. I was pleased for them, they had kids young and could never afford a wedding, so they decided to have a small ceremony and make it official. "But, I have a date for it." The blush rose up her neck and I smiled, genuinely happy. "He's called Matt, and he's really nice — and don't get your hopes up because I'm not looking for anything serious." I grinned at her, and laughed softly, she knew me too well. A car horn was heard from outside and she glanced out of the window, "That's him. Jesus, I haven't been on a date since I was fourteen." Taking a deep breath in, she walked towards the stairs, me following her closely. 

"Be good and have fun. Don't be back too late!" I laughed again as our usual positions reversed, she rolled her eyes before kissing me on the forehead, leaving a red lipstick stain. "You look beautiful, mom." My phone pinged from upstairs and both my mom and I just looked at each other.

"It looks like both of our luck is changing, I love you." And with that, she left, leaving me standing in the hallway, staring at the front door, my heart racing as I mentally prepared myself to take a glance at my phone.

          I walked up the stairs slowly, my hand ran across the handrail as I approached my room. I sat on my bed in the darkness, all the blinds and curtains shut, the only light coming from my phone. I leant down, picking it up, squinting slightly at the brightness. It was a message, in a group chat, from Ella. 

"In your backyard, please come down." 

I raised my eyebrow, before throwing on some clothes, a bit of make-up and shoving my hair into a messy ponytail before making my way to the place, I was assuming, my friends stood. Either that or something horrible. My stomach flipped as I thought the worst.

I guess whatever way this went, my mom was right. Both of our luck was changing.