About Single: Two Stories

Single contains two stories, "Miss Tennessee" (2004) and "The Cryerer" (2002), which originally appeared in The Land-Grant College Review and One Story, respectively. Inspired by the likes of Cory Doctorow and John Scalzi, I made these both available as an e-book in 2006—before there were Kindles and iPhones. I vividly remember posting instructions about how to read the book in the notes function of a Classic iPod, although I'm sure no one ever did. I originally posted it here, on Wattpad, in 2007.

The title, Single, was inspired by the 7" records I collected as a music writer in the 1990s. The book, like those records, contains two stories—one on each side.

So what's happened to these stories since I posted them here? Good things. I made five more of my stories—which had appeared in Fence, McSweeney's and elsewhere—available in a collection called Cassingle in 2009. Then, in 2010, Toronto's ECW Press—in partnership with the online literary journal Joyland—decided to launch a line of digital-only short story collections. My full length short story collection, Why They Cried (2010), became the first book in that series and is still available as an e-book everywhere. "Miss Tennessee" and "The Cryerer" are both in there.

Jim Hanas

NYC, 2014