Thirty-Four

Words: 2206

"Harry!" I ran through the halls to catch up with him, but he wasn't anywhere in my reach. He must have already been outside, even though he couldn't have gotten very far.

As I ran out of the building, I finally found my upset little prince. He was sitting against the front of the building, hands in his hair and his knees up to his chest. It didn't look like he was crying, but he didn't look happy either.

Instead of yelling his name or actually making him fixate his attention on me, I quietly sat myself down next to him and pulled my own legs up to my chest, sort of copying his position. It didn't took him long to look up at me. He had a curious and confused expression on his face, but luckily he didn't look like he had been crying. Just like something was really bothering him.

Harry didn't say anything at first, just looking at me for some time before he fixated his gaze back on the ground in front of him. Then he spoke. "I've never really had a talent," he said, his voice breaking a little bit. "I was never the smartest, nor the best in sport. I couldn't sing, I couldn't draw. Hell, I was even bad at making friends. I probably still am." He stopped for a good second, shaking his head so softly, like you could barely notice it.

I wanted to say something, but deep inside of me, I knew he needed to finish his small story. I knew he had probably never let this off his chest. And he really needed it. That's what I could tell.

"When I was around the age of 17, we had a school's project. A musical we had to re-make. Back then I really didn't want to, but it was or playing a role in it, or failing my year. So eventually I said yes to this amazingly small background character. I remember that day like it was just a week ago. Everything was one big chaos. The main character broke two of his ribs and his leg when he was in a car accident and no one of the rest of our year knew his part. Except for me," he chuckled the last part, shaking his head with a stupid smile on his face.

I could see form the way he smiled at his own memory, that he really loved that day. It must have been important to him, and I can see why. All his life, all what he has become is because of a small stupid change. I hadn't heard the end of the story yet, but I already knew how it would end.

"I couldn't believe it at first. Me. The main character of our school's musical. I couldn't even sing and yet they asked me to play in their musical. My life basically changed from that day on. After the show, people came up to me and actually told me I was good. I was good at one thing. I never stopped acting since that day. Horror, romance, humor. You name it, I did it."

Harry's smile never left his face the entire time. That was until his memories were gone and he was back to this reality. The reason why we were sitting outside the building.

"If I'm not good at acting anymore... then what am I good at? When Leon said I was an amateur, it actually really stung. I'm not the kind of guy to take things to heart. Hell, I rather block people out of my life than that I would listen to crap that would have been thrown my way otherwise. But this here, Niall. This is my life. This is all I got. I can't lose this, Ni."

I smiled sympathetically and shuffled a little closer to him so our arms would touch. My right hand found his left one and I tangled our fingers together, catching Harry's attention. "To me, you are the best actor in the world. And I'm not only saying that to cheer you up. I actually, truly mean it. You can ask my mom, Luke, Ashton, anyone I know. You're everyone's number one. You're my number one," I said, my fingers wiggling between his.

Harry shook his head softly and finally looked back up to me, our eyes meeting right then and there. I knew he was going to deny what I said, so I beat him to it.