The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Nine

Start from the beginning

“Well, I intended this for me but it looks like you’re going to need an escape tonight.” Marie finished the last of whatever she was making and passed over a huge basket.

“Take un pequeño with you and have some more food...” Her words were then lost to Spanish rambles as she flitted around the kitchen filling the basket even further.

“Rita, please tell me-” All three women looked over to see an amused Christopher in the doorway. “Found you!”

Grabbing the basket I thrust it towards Christopher. Grabbing his other hand I pulled him out the back door. “You didn’t see us!”

Still dragging a dutiful Christopher behind me I knocked on the basement door and before I knew it Matthew came out.

“Mommy!”

Putting my fingers to my lips I leaned in to Matthew, “Shh! We gotta try and sneak out just the three of us.” Grabbing onto my other hand we made our way out of the house and past the gazebo before we heard the angry yell from the house. Matthew stopped briefly afraid when Christopher grabbed him under one of his arms like a football. “Don’t stop! We can’t get caught!”

Eventually Matthew convinced Christopher that he would run on his own and we made our way to the old tree house area a mile from the manor.

“Do you want to tell me what that was all about?” Christopher asked as Matthew and I spread out the picnic blanket on the inside of the tree house. Once it was flat Matthew grabbed the basket and started to unpack.

“Let’s just say the usual hints were not working?”

Christopher gave me a small smile before bending down to help Matthew. I turned around running my hand along the top of the wall before I found what I was looking for. “Got it!” Spinning around I showed the boys the candles and lighter.

The boys both smiled in such a way that I suddenly felt a jolt in me. “Lily, are you alright?”

Christopher’s deep eyes starred at me and for a moment I forgot where I was. Fiddling with the wolf carving around my neck I nodded my head. “What did the ladies pack for us?”

----------

“Matthew had so much fun tonight thank you for sneaking off with us.”

“You don’t normally let people in do you?” His voice was light as he spoke.

“You know the answer to that.” I brought over a tray of hot coco and marshmallows and sat on the pile of pillows with Christopher. He stared into the fireplace and suddenly looked much closer to my own age.

“Once, you let me in.” He whispered so quietly that for a moment I was unsure if I supposed to hear him. I blew softly on my hot chocolate taking a moment to think.

“You gave me the privilege of for once of just being me instead of the person others deem me to be.” I sipped gently before continuing. “I will always be grateful for you not thinking I was weak and judging me during that car ride. But it’s been five years I’m not the same person anymore- I couldn’t be.” I could tell me words made him sad and this affected me more than I would like. “I do trust you though. I mean look where you are.” I gesture around to my suite where we snuck back to after it started raining outside.

“Allow me to pledge to you?” He reached out for my left hand when I pulled back.

“Think about that before you commit. Richard is your family and I know what’s happened at the school since my absence.”

“But how?”

“Jeff Spencer is a dear friend of mine; he saw no harm in informing me who would be graduating early so to speak.”