Chapter 3

"Why not me?" Denim questioned as she scrolled through one of her old classmates Instagram.

She was pushing a Benz, feet always clad in designer and she'd recently landed a spot in the bed of a Falcons player. Denim wasn't jealous she just wanted the same thing for herself. It was like everyone else her age was doing so much, having so much fun and living such lavish lives.

While she was stuck working a call center and living in a one-bedroom apartment. Denim was well aware of the fact that shit could have been way worse, especially considering how she had grown up. But she couldn't help the part of her who wanted money, money and more money. At this point Denim was willing to do anything but sell her soul for a check.

Denim was about to switch over to Facebook when she heard her front door open and close. She didn't move because Ziya was the only one who had a key to her house and vice versa.

"I come bearing food" Ziya walked into her room carrying a Popeye's bag and a drink holder.

"This is why we are best friends!" Denim sat up in her bed and excitedly patted the empty spot next to her for Ziya to sit.

Laughing Ziya joined her on the bed and passed Denim her food. Things like this had become a regular routine for the girls when Denim wasn't at work or school. It was Wednesday and Denim's class had been cancelled so Ziya made her way over.

"I swear I was just about to get up soon and go to Popeye's" Denim said as she bit into a wing.

"I've been craving this, but anyways how is work?" Denim shrugged since she didn't have much to say about work. It was the same thing every day.

"Harmony is getting back with her old man."

Ziya knew as much about Harmony's life as Denim did, just because they didn't have anyone else to gossip too so whatever tea they got they spilled to each other.

"The one with all the money?"

Denim nodded and wiped her mouth "yep, I can't even lie for a second I was a little jealous."

Ziya rolled her eyes thinking here we go again.

"Denim you need to focus on school and making money. Not these niggas, I swear I'm tired of having this conversation with you."

"I didn't even say nothing, damn" Denim cut her eyes towards Ziya. "Anyways, besides that how is the restaurant?"

"You remember the niggas we saw at the lounge on Saturday with the twins?"

Denim looked up in thought before nodding "yeah I remember Zaddy with the beard and other one. What about them?"

"The one I thought was cute came into the Jay's on Monday. He looked different but still fine, I didn't even want to serve his table I was so nervous."

Denim laughed as she envisioned how Ziya had acted, she was always acting stupid as hell when it came to men. "Did he say something to you?"

"He asked for my number, but I had to shut him down. I'm not ready for that."

"One day you will have to be Zy, you can't spend your whole life scared of men. Look at me I took two years away from them and now I can't find one to save my life."

Two years ago Denim had gone into a deep depression after having a bad run in with one of the men who had raped her when she was only 10. Seeing him sent her over the edge and she vowed to never get close to a man ever again. It took two years and a little therapy to get her to where she was now. Even though she still had a lot of work to do.