Her Last Wish - Chapter One

Chapter One
Sang
(Tuesday)

I think I may have just broken every speed limit and drove through a red light. I got beeped at by some guy in a black jeep as I cut him off, but I couldn't care less, I need to get to the damn hospital. When I checked my phone on my break, seeing several missed calls from my neighbour, Gemma Francis, I knew something was wrong. When I listened to my voicemail and her squeaky annoying voice saying that Nan had had a fall and was rushed through to the hospital, my heart stopped and I grabbed my bag, legging it out of Charleston Elementary school like my backside had just caught fire.

Nan.

Lord, I hope she's okay. She hasn't been feeling well lately but kept brushing it off every time I mentioned her health to her, the stubborn woman. I'm fine, she said. I'll go and see Dr Roberts if I'm not better by next week, she said. I knew she wouldn't, I should have just dragged her ass to the hospital myself but I've been so busy lately with starting my new job and working at the youth club every chance I had.

That's the way I am, helping people is what I love to do, especially helping young children and trying to keep them on the right track. Sometimes, I wonder if that would have been me if Nan hadn't decided to raise me when my mother died during childbirth. I hate thinking of where I would be if it hadn't been for my Nan and Grandads.

I turn my car into the hospital parking lot and go straight for the opposite end, already knowing she'll be at The Academy part of the hospital. Nan would have demanded to be taken to that part and no one would argue with the woman because she will insult you and argue until you agree to do as she asks. Finding the first spot I could spot, I spin my Audi Q7 into the space and jump out of my car, grabbing my bag as I go.

I press the key fob as I walk away, hearing the beep as I continue on my way on rushed legs. No way am I getting my brand new car stolen today, or any day for that matter. Nan got me that car as a graduation present a few months ago. Where she got the money from, I don't know –not that I care, it's her money, not mine- but it's something I'll treasure and look after just like I do with everything else the woman buys me.

The automatic doors open as I approach them and I rush through them, my heels clicking on the marble floor as I make my way to the reception desk. A familiar face is behind the counter and the moment her eyes lock onto me, she stands from her seat. "Sang, I tried to call but your phone kept going to voicemail. She's in room 208, floor four."

I turn direction and head for the elevators, waving my hand at Lily Anderson as I do. "Thank you, Lily."

"Keep me posted." She calls as the elevator doors open and I go inside them. I press the button for floor four and then lean back against the elevator wall, my heart hammering in my chest, sweat beading on my forehead. My feet are killing me because of the new shoes I bought over the weekend and the silly two inch heel. My blouse is sticking to my back and I can only imagine what my hair looks like and my face is a hot sweaty mess, most likely.

When the doors open on the fourth floor, I push from the wall and fly out of the elevator. A nurse I recognise but can't remember the name of points me in the direction I need to go when I tell her I'm looking for Rose Sorenson, Nan. I weave through the halls until I find Nan's room and when I do, I literally burst through the door. Voices stop talking as my entrance gains everyone's attention, but my eyes are only on one person right now.

And it's the little old lady in the hospital bed.

The first thing I notice is how tired she looks. The second thing I notice is that she looks older then her eighty two years in that stupid bed wearing a hospital gown then what she normally does. Her grey hair is out of the bun she normally keeps it in and is instead hanging around her shoulders. But then she smiles at me and my racing heart finally calms. "You sure know how to make an entrance, darling."