Chapter one: The Project

| Henry |

Bianca's lengthy Brazilian blow-out is a brown water-fall cascading over her right shoulder. She's laser-focused on her phone, thumbs moving a thousand miles a minute. Her nails clacked across the screen. Bright red lips chewed at the pen cap between them, doey hazel eyes. Tight black jeans, white off the shoulder halter top, and 3 gold necklaces around her throat. I'm satisfied with the view. Impressed even.

A cough interrupted mid-fantasy. My gaze flickered diagonal to Charlotte Bolton. Abyss black hair is wild and curly. Untamed. She's picking at something between her fingernails. Probably dirt. She looks even more nervous and miserable today than she did in the hallways yesterday. I let my eyes adjust to the ugly plaid vest with denim alterations and black Doc Martin boots she decided to put on her body this morning.

Coal black, sharp winged eyeliner. Silver piercing in the left corner of her mouth. Stupid plain brown eyes, bratty pout with glossy lips, stubborn chin and nose. A beauty mark under her left eye, didn't even have to look to know it was there. She's a drop in the bucket compared to Bianca.

"You have all been chosen by the Board of Education specifically to participate in this program as some of SwellView High's top performing students of my class this year."

Ms. Sharon is gathering papers across her desk as she speaks.

"Give or take a few stragglers."

She added.

"This is your chance to be a part of something much bigger than yourself, something amazing and also something that will look good on your college requirements."

She paused dramtically, raising a thin black eyebrow. She glanced from one disinterested face to another. Letting her eyes linger between the aisles. Across the rows of desks. somebody popped their gum. A pencil dropped. More coughs. Squeaking chairs and shuffling papers ripped through the silence.

"There's also a 250,000$ cash prize for the family that makes it to the end of the program, happy, healthy and having learned something I hope. Plus a passing grade and a one way ticket to graduating."

Abruptly the boredom leaked out and was replaced by a buzz of pleasant surprise. The boys ears shot up, the girls grabbed their friends by the wrists, mouths agape at what Ms. Sharpen just said. A ripple of excitement filled the tiny classroom, catching on like wildfire. Ms. Shapen stood at the center of the room with a dozen manila folders tucked tightly into her chest, as if she was protecting them. She waited for the room to get quiet again before she spoke.

"This program only comes around once in a lifetime and will determine who makes it out of highschool with a diploma..."

She gave one of her one of her more severe glances at the corner of the class where some of the others kept whispering and giggling amongst each other.

"And who starts working at the Burger Barn next summer."

The giggling suddenly faded off as there was a more serious note to her tone. Not a chance and hell would I be caught dead flipping burgers at the Burger Barn with the other degenerates. In my perspective, this thing was gonna be a piece of fuckin cake project. Easy A. All I had to do was babysit and makeout with my girlfriend for free? On an all expense paid vacation? Say less.

"I most certainly hope you're all listening and paying attention... because I will not be repeating myself. Mr. Ford- pencil down, you're a student at SwellView not a serial killer. Eyes and ears up to where I can see them please, everyone!"

Shapen threw her pointy shoulders back and raised her bird-like chin high. Her explanation about a "Family Project" designed as a life preparation experiment that lasted for the length of six months seemed to drag on. Let's get on with it Shakira Shapen. Get to the good part. The money. That's what I wanted to really know about.