~Chapter One~

A small 11-year-old girl stands at the near back of the line, standing on her tiptoes in an attempt to see the Hat that would put her in one of the four houses of Hogwarts: School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Hufflepuff was the house she'd been hoping for, but she wouldn't mind being in any of the other houses either. No one notices her in the back of the line except a boy from the Slytherin table, a second year who's placing bets with his mate on which house the first years would go into.
"How about her?" He whispers, pointing out the girl who was now craning her neck trying to get a better view over the larger kids.
"I'd say... Hufflepuff? Maybe Ravenclaw, but I doubt it. She would've already pushed past those kids already, she's probably really nice." His mate observes, "Plus, look at how hard she's trying not to touch anyone, I say Hufflepuff definitely."
He thinks over the other boy's analysis and scans the girl again, "I agree. She's really cute, probably doesn't know it though. She's not making an effort to smooth out her hair or robes like most of the other girls, even though she doesn't need to." He observes as well. "She's definitely a Hufflepuff."
"We'll have to see. Now what about that bloke..?"
Their conversation continued until the Sorting Hat began singing once more, just like it had in all the years before. After the singing had ceased, (A few muttered "finally"s coming from the Slytherin and Gryffindor tables) the Sorting began.

Names were called at random from the roll of parchment extending past McGonagall's feet. The crowd gasped when one name in particular was called, "Harry Potter."
Harry Potter? Here? Came whispers throughout the crowd. A small boy with tell-tale messy, black hair and green eyes accompanied by a reddish-pink scar shaped like a lightning bolt plastered on his forehead, a constant reminder that he was the "Boy Who Lived," stepped up to the stool and sat down before McGonagall placed the hat gently on his head.
"GRYFFINDOR!" the Hat finally shouted, and the Gryffindor table erupted with cheering. The girl smiled at all the excitement and clapped as well.
The cheering died down before another name was called, and another, and another, until there were only a handful of students left to be sorted. The girl stood patiently, waiting for her turn, and ignorant of the fact that the boy's gaze had been locked on her since after Harry Potter had been sorted.
"Alice Amity," McGonagall called, and the girl started towards the front, muttering "Excuse me" and "Sorry" as she went.
"Told you she's a Hufflepuff," The boy's mate whispered.
The Hat was barely on her head before it shouted, loud and clear, "HUFFLEPUFF!"
The girl's smile widened tremendously as she made her way giddily over to the Hufflepuff table. They cheered and welcomed her with open arms.
"Amity... huh, she must be a muggle born, I've never heard of a pure blood named Amity before." the boy observed, his mate nodding in agreement.
"It's a shame our parents only let us date pure bloods, she's hot. Also seems pretty friendly, the Hufflepuffs seem to like her." the boy's mate points out, gesturing to them laughing and smiling.
"Yeah, but as long as my parents don't find out about it, it wouldn't hurt to try. Right?" the boy smirks.
They laugh, "You could just avoid the topic of blood status until they have to meet her, you know."
"You say that like we're already dating," the boy laughs.

Over at the Hufflepuff table, Alice found some interest with her new housemates. After a few minutes of laughing and joking around, one of the girls at the table leans over and whispers to Alice, "Don't look now, but there's two Slytherin boys eyeing you up."
Alice's eyes go wide and she spins around immediately. Surely enough, there was two boys sitting next to each other and staring at her. She blushes and spins back around where the Hufflepuff girl was looking at her with wide eyes as well. "Did you not hear the 'Don't look now' part?" she asks.
"I-I um.. Sorry." Alice mumbles in response, unable to think of the proper words, "Who are they anyways?"
"Two second-years. The one with black hair and blue eyes is Alistair, and the one with brown hair and green eyes is William." She states.
   "Are they nice?" Alice asks.
"They are, but everyone just assumes they're awful because their parents are Death Eaters." the girl shrugs.
    "That's not fair to them, though. It's not like it was their choice in the first place so why should it matter?" she says, her brow furrowing in sudden anger.
   "That's how most things work here." the girl states, "I mean, most people are prejudice against Slytherin in general, so adding dirt to the pile doesn't help any, even if it isn't their choice."
   "Are we allowed to visit other house's tables?" Alice asks again.
   "People do it all the time, but I'd wait until the food comes at least."
   Alice nods, "What's your name again? Sorry I didn't ask earlier."
  "Harley," the girl states, "Not a very 'girl like' name, I know, but I like it."
  Alice smiles, "I've always loved tomboyish names. Harley's one of my favorites!"
   "Really? Most people don't," Harley shrugs, but smiles nonetheless.
    "Well, Harley," Alice starts, a grin spreading across her face, "I can tell we're going to be very good friends."