Chapter 27

When Oda and I went to my room, it was already past midnight. The lights were out and the contestants were asleep. I was waiting for Oda downstairs to avoid seeing Aideen. When Oda saw me, I asked her to come to my dorm to talk.

"What do you want to speak to me about?" I cringed at Oda's straightforward question. Only now did I understand how much Blithe went through to tell me what she knew. If I told Oda, would she believe me or Aideen?

I had chose to believe in a stranger rather than my friend.

"It's about Aideen," I muttered.

"What about her?"

I tried to force the words out, but it wouldn't. Oda raised and eyebrow impatiently.

"Yes? What about Aideen?"

It was now or never.

"She might be working with the Queen." Even I couldn't believe I was saying those words. I quickly turned up to look at Oda, expecting a frown. However, she looked strangely serene.

"It is because of how close Mother is with her?" I didn't answer.

"You never told me the Queen was upset that rhe Dandelion System didn't let maids participate." My words come out accusing.

"Yes," she admitted sarcastically, "I never told you—because I never suspected Aideen." I glared at her.

"Unlike me, right? The terrible person who suspects her friend." She didn't meet my eyes.

"Do you know how much she does for us?" Oda whispered in a cold voice. "She organized all of our meetings. She treated you with the utmost respect. Not once did she ask for something for herself."

"I know. I know perfectly well. She told me she is the Royal Family's dog, and that she would do anything for them."

I remembered that day at the coming back from the tailor. The way she opened the lock with a hairpin. The way she knew how to call for the princess when we got interrogated. Her coldness and almost disdain for making friends. That feeling like she didn't need anyone as long as she had the Royal Family. She was more clever than she thought. She was working for them, not me. I looked at Oda, not wavering, until she finally locked eyes with me, her jaw set tight.

"And you know what? You aren't the head of the Royal family. Queen Sonota is." My words affected her. Her eyes widened, and her lips parted to show her white, clenched teeth. "And after she dies, it will be Otto. It will never be you."

"You think that hurts me?" She didn't miss a moment replying. "I knew that since the moment I was born. I always knew that!"

I was taken aback by her sudden harshness, but I didn't step back.

"Just like Oscar, I knew that! We were never part of the Royal Family!" She turned around, her dress twisting at the sudden movement, and stomped out of my room.

There was something similar about Oda and Oscar, but I never knew what. Now I do: they both were lonely. There was a loneliness inside them that they didn't show anyone. A loneliness that could never be cured.

I opened the door to chase after her and saw a silhouette in the dark hallway. Her head was down. She heard us.

"Aideen—" I started to say, but she turned and ran down the hall.

In just one day, I've lost two people.

The next morning, I woke up to an empty room, and realized how much I missed Aideen opening the windows and combing my hair. I dressed myself in black again, and wondered if there was a new death.