There are various techniques.

Julian lit the cigarette held between his lips, and then passed it to the girl who'd requested it from him. She smiled flirtily as she took a drag and Julian leant in, kissing her neck and whispering dirty things in her ear. Julian loved this. There was no better way to ruin his life than with a cigarette and disrespecting people, objectifying them, using them. She was up for it, they were both drunk enough. Once the cigarette had burned out, forgotten by her almost entirely as Julian started to feel her up and press his lips to every available surface, they got a taxi back to hers.

On the other side of town, Noel was sat in the dark, doing something sobering that broke his clean streak. He had pulled the blades free from the razor, and was now scratching himself lightly so that the sterile sting could weaken. He smiled to himself in a sort of grimace, and pushed the razor deep into his skin. He dragged it toward a him, leaving a large red valley between two now very separate pieces of skin. The blood poured, but didn't spurt, so that was good. He caught it all in a towel, which was already bloody as hell with dried mistakes. He let out a huge sigh of relief. He pressed the blade it his skin again, another cut being made as his grin widened, but not as large as the first. Eventually he felt to faint of continue, and arranged himself to sleep with his body on top of the arm wrapped in a towel, applying the pressure. He drifted off with a smile. So peaceful.