Chapter Thirty-Five - The Safe

Sorry for this being late! I've been on vacation for the past week and came home to a long workday and an awful sickness, so I was too exhausted to edit yesterday. But here you go!

_____________________

Sophia didn't allow me to do anything before she grabbed my arm, dragging me through the cellar door and to the outside. Like before, I avoided all the bodies as we headed inside the main building that held the office of Patricia Galen.

"Why'd you pick me?" I asked while Sophia forced the doors open using her power. "I know we just had a heart-to-heart but I'm sure you're still not a fan--"

"Besides me, Galen trusted you the most. She had so much faith in you and would get mad at how I was teaching you everything. Granted, she didn't know how much of a complainer you are--"

"Thanks for the compliment," I muttered and began pulling out some of the drawers of the desk. Sophia immediately went for the filing cabinets, gathering everything into a box.

"These are all the files for everyone," She told me. "Better to have them rather than throw them away."

I nodded, agreeing with her. I know it's the wrong moment to think about it, but I hoped I would be able to grab ahold of Cole's information so I could tease him about his just like he does with mine.

I found basic diagrams, training schedules, and a million other things, but nothing that would be of use to us. We searched for over an hour, through each and every cranny there and found nothing but information that would be useless to us at this point. Sophia groaned and collapsed in Galen's chair, putting her face in her hands.

"I just don't know where to go from here," she told me. "You all aren't ready to fight Katherine, but we can't continue staying here."

I climbed up on the desk and took a seat. "Has Galen ever mentioned any emergency policies or anything like that? Someone must have had been planning in case something like this ever happened."

"If they were, she never told me."

I huffed out, stumped and not sure what to do. It's not like we could waltz around just anywhere, flashing our handy powers out in public. We needed somewhere secluded, but also stable enough to support us in the middle of nowhere.

"They have to be here somewhere..." she muttered, her eyes scanning the office. "Something... Anything. She would always plan. It has to be in the same place that holds all the old artifacts about Katherine and the Big Six. She wouldn't let her plans stick around for anyone to find."

"Okay," I said as I started to get up. "Where should we look--"

When my feet hit the ground, a clanking, hallow noise was heard. The two of us looked at each other for a split second before we were both on our hands and knees, pulling back the rug that lined her desk. Sure enough, there was a small safe embedded into the ground.

However, this wasn't some ordinary safe. Instead of a lock, there were two handprints. Sophia looked at it in confusion and hummed, "Okay... this seems easy enough," she thought out loud and placed both her palms on the surface. After a few seconds, it beeped and showed a red light, signaling that it didn't work. Her eyebrows furrowed together in frustration. "Huh. There must be something around here that we can use."

She got up and began searching around while I stayed at the safe. For some reason, I felt like the answer was right there. If Galen was to hide hundreds of years in a safe, she wouldn't make just anyone get in. She would make it accessible to someone she knew was going to be here after a situation like this happened, someone that she could trust. Sophia, while she was Galen's second in command, wasn't guaranteed to survive following an attack. However, everyone in the Big Six would be and if we didn't, anything in this safe would be useless.